Well to be fair it's not really that dark when those pictures were taken. I've left work after dark recently and it looked more noticeable, but I guess still pretty subdued. It could be brighter but I wouldn't want it to be overpowering.

Finally saw the night lighting in person this evening -Kind of a let down. This is the only thing I dislike about SL so far:

2W4l1.jpg

4uebI.jpg

s5KqC.jpg

YVdt8.jpg

subtle indeed. I think it would look a lot better if they covered up the individual lights, that way, it could appear like one giant light strip, rather than individual bulbs, like Trump

Subtle, yeah. But maybe they're going for the light strip look in the movie theater, ya know? Who doesn't like that!?

I like it, another classy detail to Shangri-la. I don't think there's a lighting feature like that anywhere else in Toronto and they don't draw attention to themselves - not that there's anything wrong with that.

23 August 2012: Lunch time, all the workers are hanging around the base looking like they're under extreme pressure to finish it by opening date. A ton of Irish workers here btw!

20120823123223.jpg

20120823123255.jpg

Many of you that read my strong opinions know I'm not fond of this building. The main reason actually is how it meets the street, the rear loading dock entrance being a prime example of how suburban it is versus the Four Season's treatment. It looks like a suburban big box outlet set too far back from the street.

23 August 2012: Lunch time, all the workers are hanging around the base looking like they're under extreme pressure to finish it by opening date. A ton of Irish workers here btw!

Many of you that read my strong opinions know I'm not fond of this building. The main reason actually is how it meets the street, the rear loading dock entrance being a prime example of how suburban it is versus the Four Season's treatment. It looks like a suburban big box outlet set too far back from the street.

I have heard that they have pushed back the opening of the hotel from Aug 7 to end of Aug and now to mid Sept though they will have an opening for TIFF in early Sept. They are working a lot. I was there on a Sunday and there were workman around.

The area as designed at the rear...granted the loading dock is not the most beautiful and the entrance with the wall perhaps could be a bit better....I think there was a design reason for this. The cars have to arrive somewhere. I much prefer to have it open so one has a light airy lobby rather than a covered parking arrival as in Trump and what appears to me at least a relatively dark reception area. I am not sure what you have had as a loading dock unless you would have had it down below grade but that would be a nightmare from a practical point of view in my opinion.

Yes, it's true, the restaurant or bar in the main floor is open. I just passed by and was so surprised that almost caused an accident by hitting the brakes suddenly .

Thanks for the tip. Next time I'm in the area I'm going to go check out the lobby. And the washrooms. From that article: "I also did a brief check of the washrooms on the third floor. WOW! Huge sheets of what's called Bookmatch Onyx Marble; huge, wavy lines of light and dark brown in a creme-coloured marble background. It's worth walking in just to see the washroom walls."

Interesting article in the Globe about how the top hotels are bringing in staff from other cities just for TIFF. Shangri-La, for example, is bringing in their head bartender from Hong Kong.

Local hotels are sparing no expense to bring the luxury – the three upstarts in TIFF’s surrounds are importing staff from their various chains to help boost their VIP game. The Trump has brought in its Soho location’s entertainment manager, who already has relationships with many of the actors and their agents; the Shangri-La flew in its head bartender Serhan Kusaksizoglu (known to most only by his English nickname, Charlie) from the corporate office in Hong Kong, to fine-tune the mixology at its lobby bar; and the Ritz has flown in staff from around the world, including one from Grand Cayman brought in specifically for her pressing skills, since when stars are seen stepping out of the hotel having asked for their clothes to be pressed, they cannot be allowed to look anything less than perfect.

Last edited:
1 September 2012: Reasonably busy at dinner hour, I did notice (not surprisingly) a ton of Chinese customers. Mostly "suits" in front--perhaps one of them drives the SLS around back?

20120901173746.jpg

20120901173818.jpg

This reminds me of Vancouver, except the details there are better--more wood for example.

20120901173836.jpg

20120901173930.jpg

20120901173952.jpg

20120901174015.jpg

20120901174031.jpg

Clearly the real showstopper is the sculpture, not the building or even the "celebrities" inside:

20120901180130.jpg

20120901181334.jpg

Which Toronto realtor drives an SLS? Maybe he was checking out the new joint?

20120901181245.jpg

I am not the white van man.

Overall a very conservative Vancouver feel to the place. Think beige with those crimson chairs. Open space, not private.

Back