Wait...they're going to float this thing into place? Never thought about that till now. 😅

It's actually really neat – WT mention somewhere that it's on a turntable on the barge; they'll float it into place on the barge perpendicular to the road, then raise it up, rotate the turntable 90 degrees so it lines up, and then lower the bridge onto the footings.

It's actually really neat – WT mention somewhere that it's on a turntable on the barge; they'll float it into place on the barge perpendicular to the road, then raise it up, rotate the turntable 90 degrees so it lines up, and then lower the bridge onto the footings.
It's explained in the Star piece noted above.

As I understand it, this is quite common in Europe: float the bridge on a barge in whole and just lift it into place.

A bridge not too far. Here are two views from our balcony. Can't wait till the new Cherry Street bridge arrives ! Shown here is present day Cherry Street and lift bridge (left) as well as the future realigned Cherry Street and south bridge foundation (just right of centre). View looking south from Gooderham condo in the Distillery District.

20201031_165723.jpg

20201031_165726.jpg

Last edited:
Exciting! When do we think it will port in TO? Tomorrow morning?
Traffic Notice

Road Closure: Cherry Street Between Lake Shore Boulevard East and Villiers Street, November 7 to November 9

For safety reasons to facilitate the installation of the Cherry Street North bridge, Cherry Street will be closed between Lakeshore Boulevard E and Villiers from Saturday, November 7 to Monday, November 9. This closure will be supported and controlled by paid duty officers.

The Martin Goodman Trail will remain open - redirected to the east side of Cherry Street. Cyclists and pedestrians will be discouraged from congregating within the road closure zone with support from the paid duty officers. There may be times when the trail is closed to allow construction vehicle movement, but this will be short term.

All TTC traffic will be allowed passage but may experience delays to allow for construction vehicle movement for the bridge installation.

...the other silly assumption I made: I thought wrongly this thing was being constructed close by. Not a quarter of a continent East of us and floated up river all the way. >.<

Edit/PS: Sometimes I admit I'm an idiot when comes not reading threads through properly. As this link would have told me a page back that this bridge was constructed nowhere near here. /le sigh

Last edited:

Back