The first thing that struck me being on site and actually in the valleys was the sheer amount of bird calls (many of which were unfamiliar to me). And obviously that’s all occurred with multi-tonne trucks still very active across the site. Bodes well.

What’s the Goldblum line? Life finds a way?

This area will attract many birds you see around the City in local and ravine parks and in yards. (Robins, Blue Jays, Kingfishers, Great Blue Herons, Redwing blackbirds etc.)

But it will also attract a number of (Fresh Water) coastal species, many that can be seen on the Spit today, but likely some that aren't yet breeding in Toronto.

I'm very much looking forward to our first Bald Eagle Nests in the City, which I don't think will be here, as they require, generally, very tall White Pines for nesting. But I do hope they will become area residents in the longer term.

In the interim, I still expect this will be among the most diverse spots for birds and wildlife in the City.

Some deer have recently moved in on the spit; and River Otter have been spotted nearby.

I'm very much looking forward to our first Bald Eagle Nests in the City
I believe the only bald eagle nest I've seen in Ontario was on the Grand River near Lake Erie. The nest was quite something. It looked like it was on some sort of hydro tower--not sure if it was erected to act as a nest site or if the eagles had repurposed it.

I believe the only bald eagle nest I've seen in Ontario was on the Grand River near Lake Erie. The nest was quite something. It looked like it was on some sort of hydro tower--not sure if it was erected to act as a nest site or if the eagles had repurposed it.

There are multiple nests on the Grand; one in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington, in Cootes Paradise, and tons in northern Ontario.... Take a canoe trip up near Atikoken and they're everywhere.......(which is awesome)

Bald Eagles do transit through Toronto now, I've seen one on the Spit and in Rouge Park, but so far as anyone knows, none have nested here so far.

There are multiple nests on the Grand; one in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington, in Cootes Paradise, and tons in northern Ontario.... Take a canoe trip up near Atikoken and they're everywhere.......(which is awesome)

Bald Eagles do transit through Toronto now, I've seen one on the Spit and in Rouge Park, but so far as anyone knows, none have nested here so far.
I see a lot of hawks (even in my neighbourhood), and I've seen the odd bird circling high up that I thought might be a bald eagle but it's hard to say. And lots of turkey vultures.

I see a lot of hawks (even in my neighbourhood), and I've seen the odd bird circling high up that I thought might be a bald eagle but it's hard to say. And lots of turkey vultures.

Oh indeed there are:

You only get 2 points for recognizing the building, LOL

I have just been told by a chum @ the City that they hope to activate the new traffic lights at New Cherry @ Lake Shore next Wednesday. This will at least allow traffic to go NORTH on (old) Cherry from Lake Shore and for southbound (old) Cherry traffic to go (at least west) on Lake Shore. We will find out!

Excellent!

Because if there's anything Lake Shore Westbound needs it's more traffic heading towards the Gardiner on ramp at Jarvis!

Ha. Am I doing Urban Toronto right?

Here's an interesting shot amid the Quebec wildfires:

53011275622_e51a35f678_h.jpg

Source:

Why not sooner? Just pave it. It's not like it need magic pixie dust or something. It's just a road.
We would all like it open but the section between the median of Lake Shore and just north of the current line of the Martin Goodman needs to be graded and then paved and the remaining services (drainage, lighting) installed. I assume that they will need to divert the Martin Goodman (maybe across the Orange Bridge!!) before they can do this, so opening to all in Sept or October is really quite reasonable - and it's not far away! As soon as the road (and orange bridge) are fully open they will remove the lift bridge over the Keating Channel.

Back