Living in a 49 storey tower is a compromise unless it's some full floor billionaire's paradise. I don't think great interneighbourhood transit options fulfillls that compromise. The point of living in a 49 storey tower is to be within or as close to the action as possible. It doesn't include a transit ride to the action.. For that reason, these 30 plus storey towers planned in residential neighbourhoods far away from commercial entertainment are not making Toronto more desirable. It's just to fit in more people.

You're going to have really good views, be close to natural amenities, with retail and employment options nearby. Combine that with a theoretical brief LRT trip to downtown and that's a pitch that's going to be appealing to a lot of people, certainly enough to fill a tower. It doesn't need to appeal to every single person out there in the city.

You flying for that time as its no way you can walk it in that timeframe? Maybe 5 minutes, depending on the person ability to do the walk.
From Parliament to Corktown Station? Can't be more than 50 metres from King and Parliament to the east station entrance on King.
ontario_line_parliament.png

From Parliament to Corktown Station? Can't be more than 50 metres from King and Parliament to the east station entrance on King.
View attachment 488542

I had thought the discussion was on Cherry within Villiers to the Ontario Line..........but if not, my bad.

The route you show above is roughly Cherry and Mill to King and Parliament. Google says that's 785m; which according to the standard used for average walking speed of 3-4km p/h would run you 12-14 minutes.

Right, I looked at the whole exchange again.

@AlvinofDiaspar is talking about a Cherry Station on the Ontario Line route as it is, so Cherry south of Mill.

The point of that would be to reduce the walking distance from that side of Villiers to the O/L

The route you show above is roughly Cherry and Mill to King and Parliament. Google says that's 785m; which according to the standard used for average walking speed of 3-4km p/h would run you 12-14 minutes.
I didn't mark up the map above (the dotted line representing existing streetcar routes was on the original map from Metrolinx) — I was just making the point that the station is in fact 30-second walk from Parliament, which was my original claim. But yes, it would be a much longer walk from Cherry. The existing streetcar routing via Cherry is kind of unfortunate given the location of the OL station. I wonder whether it would be feasible to run tracks west on Front from Cherry to shave a couple of minutes off that connection.

I didn't mark up the map above (the dotted line representing existing streetcar routes was on the original map from Metrolinx) — I was just making the point that the station is in fact 30-second walk from Parliament, which was my original claim. But yes, it would be a much longer walk from Cherry. The existing streetcar routing via Cherry is kind of unfortunate given the location of the OL station. I wonder whether it would be feasible to run tracks west on Front from Cherry to shave a couple of minutes off that connection.
So, are you suggesting that the King car (or a branch of it) makes a right (south) turn at Parliament (not Cherry) goes south one block to Front , makes a left (east) turn on Front and then another right turn at Cherry? That will not be fast!

So, are you suggesting that the King car (or a branch of it) makes a right (south) turn at Parliament (not Cherry) goes south one block to Front , makes a left (east) turn on Front and then another right turn at Cherry? That will not be fast!
Perhaps not with signal priority as it is today!

Still not a 30 second walk, but 1-2 minute depending on the person

My mistake on my time as I thought it was Cherry St

Having the King Car going south on Parliament and east on Front solves one issue, create 2 issues for the route and shorten travel time. Not worth it.

Living in a 49 storey tower is a compromise unless it's some full floor billionaire's paradise. I don't think great interneighbourhood transit options fulfillls that compromise. The point of living in a 49 storey tower is to be within or as close to the action as possible. It doesn't include a transit ride to the action.. For that reason, these 30 plus storey towers planned in residential neighbourhoods far away from commercial entertainment are not making Toronto more desirable. It's just to fit in more people.
I think this will be a very desirable neighbourhood to live in.

Tell this to the people living in 50s buildings in Mississauga or Vaughan.

Toronto has many desirable residential neighbourhoods that do not have 49 storey towers. An argument could be made for views..A midrise height should have a great view as well. Personally, I prefer panoramic views that aren't looking down on everything else. Building tall does allow more to participate in that view. How much of a view is there is a typical condo with one window for the unit? There are people that enjoy living up high in a tall tower with 490 other units. The GTA has built enough units above 30 storeys to house all of them. We can't design a neighbourhood without including tall towers.with hotel sized suites.

I think part of the argument about more density here is whether there will also be supporting elements like: school(s?), library, community centre, transit, family doctor(?), etc. Also, as much as I like skyscrapers, I'd like to see more parity across the city in terms of density, and more front-loading commitments to development plans.

It's immense. The amount of wetland here is massive. When I think about the amazing amount of wildlife that Corktown Common has already attracted - and it's like a postage stamp in size compared to this - MVVH has set up this area to be astonishingly profuse.

The first thing that struck me being on site and actually in the valleys was the sheer amount of bird calls (many of which were unfamiliar to me). And obviously that’s all occurred with multi-tonne trucks still very active across the site. Bodes well.

What’s the Goldblum line? Life finds a way?

Back