Apparently, the problems w/the Ship Channel bridge have very heavy traffic using that old one-lane bridge on Unwin. That in turn is causing damage to the bridge which was not designed for that load.

That’s not good.
Another new bridge in the design stages for Unwin tomorrow? Wasn’t that bridge replaced recently. ~10 years ago. Or maybe just the bike bridge was new.
Could they convert the old tracks to a road and bypass the slip or just fill in the slip? Dragon boats use that slip. Anyone else?

Apple Maps.
IMG_6409.jpeg

Edit. Just read the cbc article. Click adverse sometimes. 😊

Last edited:
That’s not good.
Another new bridge in the design stages for Unwin tomorrow? Wasn’t that bridge replaced recently. ~10 years ago. Or maybe just the bike bridge was new.
Could they convert the old tracks to a road and bypass the slip or just fill in the slip? Dragon boats use that slip. Anyone else?

Apple Maps.
View attachment 567790
Edit. Just read the cbc article. Click adverse sometimes. 😊
The CBC piece (and/or Paula Fletcher) are not quite right. Ports Toronto has had plans to rehabilitate the Ship Channel Bridge for ages but it was agreed that the City would deal with the land approaches first and the City work was done in 2022 and 2023 and finished in early 2024. Ports Toronto was supposed to start their 2-year project to replace/repair the machinery and all the metalwork in fall 2024. (They did not want to work in summer as there is too much traffic.) Well, surprise, surprise, the 92 year old bridge gave up early! The City owned Unwin bridge was fixed up about a decade ago when the cycling bridge was added, the City already had 2024 plans to do regular upkeep on it, the much heavier traffic has meant that it is now becoming dangerous. All goes to show that deferred maintenance will catch you out! Details of the whole Ports-Toronto/ City work are higher up in this thread and at: https://www.portstoronto.com/portstoronto/media-room/community-notices/ship-channel-bridge-%E2%80%93-update-may-13.aspx

One little nugget of new info that I got from Mr. Glaisek on the boat tour was that they are actively evaluating a water-bus scheme for the Inner Harbour that would provide accessibility deep into the Portlands fairly quickly and provide a medium term solution until the LRT is built.

First time that I have heard Venice and Toronto in the same sentence! 🤣

One little nugget of new info that I got from Mr. Glaisek on the boat tour was that they are actively evaluating a water-bus scheme for the Inner Harbour that would provide accessibility deep into the Portlands fairly quickly and provide a medium term solution until the LRT is built.

WT awarded a contract for this last summer:

1717024158998.png

Very interesting !

Back