The Villiers Plan is moving ahead, with a report to the next meeting of Planning and Housing Ctte:

It will forward with the heights at up to 46s and the 9,000 unit target.

All in all, I think the prospects for the neighbourhood are strong. As I've noted previously, I think it hits the sweet spot with density, and the plans for parkland and community amenities are promising.

The two concerns I have are the uncertainty about the Waterfront LRT and the potential lifelessness of the park areas come the cold season.

I can't think of anyone else with such a recognizable style. Their "logjam" aesthetic shows up with the other play structures too. It's gotta be them. It isn't mentioned in WT's press release either, so maybe they are coordinating an announcement when the project is closer to completion.

View attachment 569249

View attachment 569250
just toured their warehouse in waterloo region yesterday! They said they are just a subcontractor of the landscape contractor so not sure they'll have a proper announcement

All in all, I think the prospects for the neighbourhood are strong. As I've noted previously, I think it hits the sweet spot with density, and the plans for parkland and community amenities are promising.

The two concerns I have are the uncertainty about the Waterfront LRT and the potential lifelessness of the park areas come the cold season.

I think there's reason for concern that the streets through the area will be lifeless year round, given their width. Like Front St in the Canary district.

I think there's reason for concern that the streets through the area will be lifeless year round, given their width. Like Front St in the Canary district.

Sigh........... this is addressed in my post in detail.

I think Planning is partially to blame by not clearly indicating on the map that many of the roads will have transit and bike lanes.

Could some of the visuals be better........... I suppose........sure.........

But I posted this about a month ago:

1717692558486.png

And there are cross-sections in the reports that show what those street look like on a tentative basis; though admittedly, most of these are not rendered as such, they're a bit more schematic.

It would be nice if the Centre St had modal filters to force right turns, keep traffic low and allow that street to be a pedestrian mall with patios etc.

Today’s smattering…

Significant removal of the giant mound just south of the observation tower at the Polson-Cherry corner.

D1168072-C936-427A-9238-78F02727CCDF.jpeg

07F92C4E-A9E4-48A0-A622-1F8DD91B1F2A.jpeg

Facing SE from Lakeshore Blvd.

BDE31C4E-5F4F-42FB-96AB-BC404D3A1930.jpeg

Steps?

BDF58F3A-F9B3-43D4-8CAB-2DA47E0FC6C5.jpeg

Playground work…

836DBB97-F1C1-4478-BD88-7741188A26C6.jpeg

EEB215CC-4ECC-4D69-93CA-6A49EEAD4513.jpeg

And a little farther south nearer the river where the beavers cavort…

BBA6EDC1-B616-416E-A01E-4B386B5F2FA6.jpeg

Plenty of wood to chew on for these (3) brown river inhabitants. (And also amazing how compressed / close these buildings appear in a zoom shot)…

E6C17F73-A0EB-4E2C-A099-E6DB945EE056.jpeg

The bridge trolls seem to pondering what to do next? And also a good place for a meeting for workers on the bridge?!

E9426CA7-85D1-4BDE-B61B-0455450CB655.jpeg

F0FE8350-0BA4-4BA1-B28E-A5588946F835.jpeg

Last edited:
I still shake my head at 46s, but imagine I’ll be dead before it’s all finished building so- have at it. The spectre of St James Town looms. With any luck it’ll be the proof case for finally putting towers up on Toronto Island. It’s about time we populate every green space with large towers in the name of affordability that will never come. I’m just curious when the “density” fad is going to run out, I’m still using old “Transit City” plans for napkins, but nearly out.

Honestly this seems so unlike anything else we'll ever have in Toronto. I know it could be made better in so many ways but it's already going to be so amazing it will really reshape how people experience the downtown area and a huge swath of land that was previously virtually unusable by most. It's things like the bridges and the quality of the playgrounds that really speak to just how lovely this will all be. I wish this WT partnership could build out most developments in Toronto lol.

Honestly this seems so unlike anything else we'll ever have in Toronto. I know it could be made better in so many ways but it's already going to be so amazing it will really reshape how people experience the downtown area and a huge swath of land that was previously virtually unusable by most. It's things like the bridges and the quality of the playgrounds that really speak to just how lovely this will all be. I wish this WT partnership could build out most developments in Toronto lol.

Most is probably an over-reach, but with its current mandate coming to an end in 2028; the opportunity is there to extend its mandate to the Scaborough and Etobicoke waterfronts.

While the achievements there would be different and likely lesser in scale, there are real opportunities, particularly through strategic land assembly. The outer areas would be a bit more parkland-forward vs development, but still lots of opportunity to do great things.

If that idea appeals, be sure to tell the Mayor, the Premier and the PM whose backing will be required to make it happen.

Last edited:

Back