I'm curious about how they're going to cut through this section.

Will they be laying more stones down here too?

If so looks like there's still a lot of work to do.

View attachment 521626
From casual on-site observations there is really not that much 'area' of actual excavation to do and the southern (completed with the big rocks) area is not that much lower than Villiers Street so the excavation is not terribly deep. The plan is to open this (the main. northern) entrance to the new Don River valley in 'fall 2024' so I think they have lots of time - even if they plan to install the rocks right up to the current Villiers channel. There will (I assume) be no utilities running through the to-be-excavated area and they currently seem to be capping off any than now run the full length of Villiers St. (which will soon end at the new Don.)

I imagine that whole section has to be removed and probably have the bottom finished in the same way. Maybe if someone tweets to Rocky we'll get an answer :)

Once Commissioner's Street (the orange bridge) is finished, and traffic is transferred there, excavation will begin to sever Villiers Street. The construction along HWAC's lower cyan line will look something like this:
1700500889163.png

Nightly Closures of the Don Valley Parkway Ramps at Lake Shore Boulevard East: Starting as soon as Monday, November 27 until mid December​

To prepare for construction of the north half of the Lake Shore Bridge over the Don Roadway, the ramp to and from the Don Valley Parkway (DVP) to Lake Shore Boulevard East will be closed nightly for approximately two weeks. The nightly closures will start as soon as Monday, November 27. Nightly closures will begin at 10 p.m., and the ramps will reopen by 5 a.m.

Future Traffic Impacts​

Expect increased traffic impacts on Lake Shore Boulevard East between Cherry Street and Carlaw Avenue in mid-to-late December. Crews will be switching vehicular traffic from the north half of the Lake Shore Bridge to the south half of the bridge (formerly the eastbound lanes). More details will be circulated in a future construction notice.

It's probably in the thread somewhere, but curious why the existing westbound bridge need to be rebuilt. It looks fine in this picture. Is it just old? Not getting widened or anything is it?

View attachment 522422

Both bridges needed to be widened and extended east west to provide larger capacity for the Don River to flow, plus they are old. Added bike lanes and sidewalks that weren't there before also. And I'm sure a few other things.

Both bridges needed to be widened and extended east west to provide larger capacity for the Don River to flow, plus they are old. Added bike lanes and sidewalks that weren't there before also. And I'm sure a few other things.
Now that they seem to have decided that the Portlands Rail Spur is going (they are already removing rail in the Lake Shore East median) does anyone know what will happen with the rail bridge adjacent to this one? It was repaired quite extensively about 5 years ago so I assume it is 'sound' - though it would need a real 'road bed' if to be used for cyclists or pedestrians.

When was the last time a train ran across it?

Also, the high power lines will those get buried?
The last train ran there just before the line was cut at the new(ish) Canada Post building on Leslie/Commissioners - I think about 6 years ago but there is a whole discussion on that rail spur somewhere around here. The power lines have also be discussed ad nauseum, they are high voltage lines and will NOT be buried.

I remember seeing the train down by the Canada Post building moving slowly across Commissioners...

Can't believe that was 6 years ago!

Have they already renovated the northern part of the lake shore bridge? Or are they going to open the south bridge and then start construction on the north one?

Back