The area in red is currently part of the reworking of Ashbridges Bay by TRCA ( https://trca.ca/conservation/infras...bridges-bay-erosion-sediment-control-project/ ) and connected to work on the Ashbridges Bay pumping station (https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...nt-plant-20-86m-2s-city-of-toronto-b-v.32727/)

When all is done (2025??) most of this new land will be part of Tommy Thompson Park. SEE ALSO: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/leslie-street-spit.15550/page-10

Thank you! That's wonderful to hear. It makes me hopeful that one day we could have a continuous stretch of parkland through spits and islands all the way from Ashbridges Bay to Ontario Place.

Why am I finding out about this from BlogTO?!

Very neat! It was buried somewhere in plans including each proposed park design. @hawc has definitely captured a few glimpses of its construction but nobody has drawn attention to it in replies.

The greening of an island.

IMG_1379.jpeg

(Workers clearing out ‘weedy bits’ from the water…)

IMG_1374.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

Workers amongst the shrubbery…

IMG_1378.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1371.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

Edit: Are these previous pics part of the ginormous owl? The exposed wooden (non-white) parts may be where the wings will go? 🦉 (following image (Waterfront Toronto) from the blogTO Jack Landau article)…

8700A1D3-F008-4382-B747-8E2C3E557F0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry, dumb question, but when will this actually get opened up so we can walk down to the new river, walk around these area etc? Like this summer? Or fall? Or not until next year?

Thank you! That's wonderful to hear. It makes me hopeful that one day we could have a continuous stretch of parkland through spits and islands all the way from Ashbridges Bay to Ontario Place.
I would like that too but suspect the sewage plant will be a barrier to achieving it.

Sorry, dumb question

It's not dumb, perfectly sensible.,

, but when will this actually get opened up so we can walk down to the new river, walk around these area etc? Like this summer? Or fall? Or not until next year?

Likely the latter; Late Spring '25.

There may be some tours late this year, but I expect full opening June '25 as things stand.

Workers amongst the shrubbery…

View attachment 563813

Glad you included the above text, for a second I might have thought that the public art donation was covering the cost of installing Ostrich Eggs, Sunnyside Up throughout the vegetation!

Last edited:
Yes, that's where the sewage plant has (and needs) water access.

There's also the Ashbridge's Bay Yacht Club.

Any bridge would have to be high enough for the boats to clear.

I think I there are a lot of people in Toronto that have criticisms of both plans. For different reasons, though. Most of them like the broad idea in Villiers, but are pretty much universally against the idea of turning Ontario place over to Therme and digging a huge parking garage there.
Yeah, I had issues with the underground parking idea too, but thankfully that's been scrapped. Just wondering what bug-a-boo Pascale has with the Villiers plan since it seems nearly the opposite of the OP plan (lots of areas designated for the public, lots of nature, etc) Does he just not like any development on the waterfront? Guess I'll find out on the 21st.

Back