What a waste of a waterfront. Bring people to the waterfront just to herd them inside a massive building that blots out all possible environmental co-existence. Why not bring them to the waterfront to explore the environment, do some birdwatching, maybe have a picnic? Relate to nature? There have been steps taken in the last five years to uproot the non-native species and replant with native ones. How does a stadium *relate* to its geography? Generally, it completely ignores and anhilates it. I think that's why people are suggesting it be banned to the hinterlands.

That's what the spit and islands are for.. I like the idea of a waterfront OLYMPIC stadium (not just one for a non-existent NFL team)..

Imagine something like Montreal's Olympic Stadium on the waterfront? It would look fantastic.
(Though without the whole 2 billion dollars, only paying it off in 2006 thing)

What an utter waste, like so many of the Montreal Olympic buildings were. Even the Olympic stadium isn't on the waterfront in Montreal. The Hippodrome created for the Montreal olympics has been torn down. Single-purpose athletic buildings don't have longevity: the citizenry never buys into it. When has a sports building made a profit? Skydome was sold off at a loss; the Exhibition Grounds stadium was razed. All require city funds to build, and then, somehow, magically, the buildings get sold off to private interests. How about a museum of Toronto on the waterfront instead? Imagine what Raymond Moriyama (let's talk local architect) could do with integrating water and land into a unified whole.

The Olympic Stadium in Montreal can only be used after a safety check by the fire department. The roof needs replacing.

There is no rationale for putting a stadium by the waterfront. It adds nothing beneficial to the waterfront.

There is no rationale for putting a stadium by the waterfront. It adds nothing beneficial to the waterfront.

Its strange that you say that gristle, cause thats mostly all we have had here in Toronto....Hanlan's Point Stadium, Maple Leaf Park, Maple Leaf Stadium, Exhibition Stadium, Skydome, BMO Field...even arenas, Air Canada Centre, Ricoh Coliseum. Come to think about it.. Varsity Stadium and Maple Leaf Gardens were not that far away..

A little history on the first ones, they were actually close by your neighbourhood..you should know these things:D.......http://spacingtoronto.ca/2009/05/21/throwback-thursday-hanlans-point-stadium/

Last edited:
Its strange that you say that gristle, cause thats mostly all we have had here in Toronto....Hanlan's Point Stadium, Maple Leaf Park, Maple Leaf Stadium, Exhibition Stadium, Skydome, BMO Field...even arenas, Air Canada Centre, Ricoh Coliseum. Come to think about it.. Varsity Stadium and Maple Leaf Gardens were not that far away..

A little history on the first ones, they were actually close by your neighbourhood..you should know these things:D.......http://spacingtoronto.ca/2009/05/21/throwback-thursday-hanlans-point-stadium/

Another fine example of AG's powers of reasoning.

Hey AG, what, did you google "crappy massive sports arenas that waste precious waterfront"?

Another fine example of AG's powers of reasoning.

Hey AG, what, did you google "crappy massive sports arenas that waste precious waterfront"?

So Mr. "come to the rescue" neubilder...you think this "crappy massive sports arena that existed down there for over 30 years was a waste of precious waterfront"?.
Look around today..:confused:

MapleLeafStadium.jpg

The Maple leaf Stadium was located and the southwest corner of Bathurst St and Fleet St (now Lakeshore Blvd). It was built just in time for the 1926 season and cost around $750 000 to build. The Stadium seated 20 000 people and was a state of the art facility of it's time.
http://mopupduty.com/index.php/toronto-maple-leaf-baseball-memoirs/

/\ Yes, in today's context I absolutely think vast inward focused building types such as big-box stores and sports arenas are a waste of valuable waterfront.

The stadium above was built at a time in Toronto's history when the waterfront was primarily industrial - not lakeshore public amenity. Did you notice that in your photo the stadium is surrounded by industry? It made sense to build a stadium in that location at that time because it was close to the core yet on land that was otherwise undesireable due to it's predominantly industrial nature.

But does an NFL-size stadium add to the waterfront presently under development -as in the Portlands? I say no because there is already a well thought-out and defined plan for this part of the city.

Of course, merely citing past and present stadiums doesn't exactly make an argument. There's a highway running by the waterfront as well (much closer to the water than either Skydome or the ACC). Does that mean a waterfront highway is a great idea because one is already there? In addition, Exhibition Stadium and Ricoh Coliseum were and are parts of a larger development area.

Last edited:
Waterfront Toronto has financial commitments from all three levels of government and has brokered deals with several private sector development companies and architects.

True, but then again nothing is "carved in stone" if that was the case, we wouldn't be here discussing sports stadiums.

AG, once again I'm shaking my head in amazement at your line of reasoning.

We are discussing stadiums on the waterfront for no other reason than because our fat-head evil mayor and his equally dangerous brother (aka stupid and pafuchio) put the idea on the table.

AG, once again I'm shaking my head in amazement at your line of reasoning.

We are discussing stadiums on the waterfront for no other reason than because our fat-head evil mayor and his equally dangerous brother (aka stupid and pafuchio) put the idea on the table.

No, we are discussing stadiums on the waterfrone because the mayor thinks it makes sense and might help bring development to the portlands.

Once again, someone doesn't agree with Ford and immediately the name calling starts as well as over the top rhetoric such as calling the man evil. Misguided would have been a better term but on this forum, supposedly liberal minded people have no problem with insulting those with different visions than their own. And the constant attempt to demonize as well.

I'm continually amazed at the pretentiousness and smug attitude that exists on this board where some think only they know how to run society.

Last edited:

Back