The "Toronto Look" is clearly just the local instantiation of the International Style, and can be found in countless other locations. But perhaps it is a look particularly well-suited to Toronto, politely expressing our distrust of ornament and assertiveness, and cleanly exhibiting a certain icy Northern aesthetic.

Or perhaps the issue can be analysed as follows: The "Toronto style" is in fact a generic International style, but what city is more generically international than Toronto? The Toronto Look is our own, and it isn't. Or rather, it is because it isn't. Something like that.

A bit of a paradox, really.

The ultimate expression of that "distrust of assertiveness" is the claim by some locals that we don't even have a style.

That last drawing of that white, elegant building...Did you make that or is that a proposal?

The "Toronto Look" is clearly just the local instantiation of the International Style, and can be found in countless other locations. But perhaps it is a look particularly well-suited to Toronto, politely expressing our distrust of ornament and assertiveness, and cleanly exhibiting a certain icy Northern aesthetic.

Good analysis. I tend to agree, though I would replace assertiveness with aggressiveness. If we were in fact so meek that we distrusted assertiveness, we wouldn't have any skyscrapers at all.

"I would replace assertiveness with aggressiveness. If we were in fact so meek that we distrusted assertiveness, we wouldn't have any skyscrapers at all"

True enough.

So is that the design they're building or are they going with the cheap looking model in the first few pics?

The model and the rendering are of the same building.

Maybe you're worried that they are only planning to build the model. Don't worry, that's only a model. The building will be bigger, and more expensive looking.

I think you and I are looking at different pics. I'm referring to the last drawing on the first page of the white (old fashioned tower) with the town home base.

I think you and I are looking at different pics. I'm referring to the last drawing on the first page of the white (old fashioned tower) with the town home base.
That's a proposal in Chicago.

Why did you pick that particular one out of all those projects in that same post?

Of course. Its too nice for Toronto. Thats one nice looking building.

56% of the released units have sold.

Average of $405 psf

Architects Alliance is the architect.
This is Menkes first project downtown.

Occupancy Nov 2009

Third if you count Four Seasons.

Anyone know what percentage of units have been released? I hate how they always only give percentage of released units.

Back