The design is pretty sharp... but very conservative and "cost effective" - especially the cheap cheap windows. Isn't this building supposed to be rather high-end? It amazes me that buyers here don't demand better quality.

How do they go about doing that? Tarion? Yea right.

How do they go about doing that? Tarion? Yea right.

Tarion doesn't have jurisdiction over the types of windows utilized, that would be the Ontario Building Code (or Toronto Green Standard, but this building started prior to that coming into effect or if the building were attempting some third party certification such as LEED that jurisdiction would be the Canadian Green Building Council).

So you are correct in your "yea right" comment just as one would be to suggest that the RCMP or some other group with no jurisdiction somehow correct whatever the problem is perceived to be. The Tarion warranty covers items within the construction performance guidelines (i.e. faulty windows, broken/cracked windows, improperly installed windows etc) - not the type of windows. With the correct set of facts one might be able to direct their displeasure in the right direction...

Dubai's goal was to wean themselves off oil revenue and transform Dubai into the primary city for the entire region. They've accomplished almost everything they set out to. They are now a financial hub, cultural hub, transportation hub, and the most famous city in the Middle East. Skyscrapers were simply a one by-product of this process. The culture there was also very conducive to building very tall. They're not culturally conservative or reserved like Canadians are.

Most of this is correct, but this reads like a post from 2007. Dubai recently had a very serious economic crisis and things are not looking so bright anymore.

The bold part is hilariously inaccurate. :D

12 June 2010

dsc09086l.jpg

Lumiere is a very welcomed skyscraper to the area in my books! It just adds on top of the already awesome Bay Street Street canyon we got goin!

In my opinion, the street canyon stretching from college to wellesly (or even as far as bloor) is the most balanced/awesome looking streetwall in the city :D You get awesome complexes such as Murano, and Burano, and ROCP, topped with some really cool buildings like Sutton Place... Can't wait for Burano to fill that gap in urbandreamers photo :D. And once U condos are built, its only gonna get better!

Definitely liking this building. The only complaint is that it's location. I personally would have liked this building apart from the other towers there....

June 19 2010 update

The Front (southeast side)
Click to Enlarge

The Back (southwest side)

The Pool Terrace & Podium

Suite Interiors Underway - note kitchen cabinets u/c

Very cool shots of Lumiere ^^^

I could hardly recognize it in the shot from its back end! Its interesting how different this skyscraper looks depending on the angle

From Panorama:

PanoramaViewLumiere.jpg

Back