24 June 2010: Rising into view (behind the Hudson)

dsc09689w.jpg

i'm not sure if this has been posted but there is an application for a 40 story building east of M5V..RIGHT BESIDE IT!

I'm not sure if I found the right zoning app, but here are some details:

OPA / Rezoning 10 192451 STE 20 OZ 357 KING ST W Jun 9, 2010 Application Submitted Jun 9, 2010 Ward-20
South-District Residential Apartments 212 23877 24089 242 782 --- --- Dunn, Christopher
(416) 397-4077
Rezoning application to permit the redevelopment of the lands containing an existing auto repair shop for the purposes of a mixed use building complete with 212m2 of ground floor retail and 242 residential dwelling units above. Included inthe proposal is 6 levels of below grade parking complete with 138 parkign spaces.

M5V Owners need to stop this from happening

Last edited:
My brother bought one with East view too. And I understand why zeeden does not want the other project to happen - honestly, me neither - because it'll affect his unit's value. But still, "M5V Owners need to stop this from happening" - why, really? and how?

I really don't know how to prevent it...but i'll be upset if it gets approved. I know no views in Toronto are guaranteed, but this building will be right beside us. I'm going to look out the balcony and see a wall.

Now I know how people @ GLAS on Oxley feel, but at least they knew Charlie was going to be built in front of their balconies.

I knew there would be something built beside us but not 40 storeys. I was upset when Columbia did not move into that corner because the proposed building was only suppose to be about 6 storeys.

It's funny how generally pro-development people suddenly turn into NIMBYs when the development in question threatens to block their own view.

You had to know before you bought in M5V that another high rise might end up next to it. It's what happens in dynamic growing cities.

Ironically, if it does get approved it may be because M5V already set a precedant with the OMB's decision to approve it. Maybe it will be approved with a lower height.

Originally this area was zoned for a maximum of 30 meters but M5V had this overturned at the OMB:

The Zoning By-law permits a height of 30 metres for this site.
In addition to the maximum height permission of 30 metres, Sections 12(246) and 12(260) of the
Zoning By-law also apply to the subject site. Section 12(246) requires a 3-metre setback above
20 metres on all street frontages; if this is not provided the maximum height is limited to 20
metres. Section 12(260) requires a 44 degree angular plane measured from the lot line fronting
King Street West starting at a height of 16 metres.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/committees/te/te060404/it030.pdf

They will be able to get a building of the same height as M5V 34s approved but I do not know if a higher building would be approved. Although I think they approved condos arround 43s on the north side of Lightbox/Festival Tower and Charlie is 36s.

Originally this area was zoned for a maximum of 30 meters but M5V had this overturned at the OMB:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/committees/te/te060404/it030.pdf

They will be able to get a building of the same height as M5V 34s approved but I do not know if a higher building would be approved. Although I think they approved condos arround 43s on the north side of Lightbox/Festival Tower and Charlie is 36s.

This is true in principle but this site is dealing with some limitations that M5V wasn't dealing with at the time. Because of the approvals at both M5V and 56 Blue Jays there will be significant setback issues from the adjacent approved building envelopes. I'm not sure exactly what this will amount to in terms of what kind of height is achievable on this site but its likely well short of the 34 storeys approved at M5V.

Last edited:

Back