With all the highrise condos sprouting up in the area, it won't be long until M5V will be blocked by other condos.

Condo such as Theatre Park, King Charlotte, Charlie, Bisha, Mercer, King & Spadina, King & Peter, to name just a few.

... i wouldnt worry to much cause its not the general population but the same dozen or so individuals and their followers bashing almost everything and anything that is built in this city..:mad: Again enjoy and welcome to the forum.

Care to qualify your statements? Are you saying that you don't care about how a building looks - at all?

Care to qualify your statements? Are you saying that you don't care about how a building looks - at all?

What, just cause you like something doesn't mean that everyone else does. Not everyone views architecture and design the same way, for instance many people here constantly criticize Trump, Uptown and West Harbour City, these in my view are good looking buildings with decent setbacks and precast, also these same tall structures are and will most likely be the icons viewed by many in between all those boring look-a-like glass boxes which people here on UT continue to rave about...Come-on, of course i like how the final product of a building looks like, but then again i dont have to like the Muranos and Lumieres just because people like you say so.

So don't pretend that somehow you are not part of the group of people here who take an interest in how a building looks.

That is so selfish!

If you read my entire post you'd have realized that I do care about the outward design of a building, but I meant that not every project going up has to be a marvel of design. M5V is important because of its green features. Do I wish it looked better, absolutely, am I upset about how it looks, absolutely not!

If you read my entire post you'd have realized that I do care about the outward design of a building, but I meant that not every project going up has to be a marvel of design. M5V is important because of its green features. Do I wish it looked better, absolutely, am I upset about how it looks, absolutely not!

But you criticized some basics that go into making a building presentable like painting the undersides of balconies, things that don't even make a building a "marvel of design", but keep it from being ugly. If you like the city, you should care about how the buildings look and how it presents itself to the world. Let the investors make money, but they should be prepared to build attractive buildings for the privilege. The people on the sidewalks are the majority. What happens in your unit is none of their business, but the public face is what it is: public. Most people don't care if an infill building isn't a "marvel of design" but want the non-landmarks to be interesting, if not spectacular, too.

but you criticized some basics that go into making a building presentable like painting the undersides of balconies, things that don't even make a building a "marvel of design", but keep it from being ugly. If you like the city, you should care about how the buildings look and how it presents itself to the world. Let the investors make money, but they should be prepared to build attractive buildings for the privilege. The people on the sidewalks are the majority. What happens in your unit is none of their business, but the public face is what it is: Public. Most people don't care if an infill building isn't a "marvel of design" but want the non-landmarks to be interesting, if not spectacular, too.

exactly!

But you criticized some basics that go into making a building presentable like painting the undersides of balconies, things that don't even make a building a "marvel of design", but keep it from being ugly. If you like the city, you should care about how the buildings look and how it presents itself to the world. Let the investors make money, but they should be prepared to build attractive buildings for the privilege. The people on the sidewalks are the majority. What happens in your unit is none of their business, but the public face is what it is: public. Most people don't care if an infill building isn't a "marvel of design" but want the non-landmarks to be interesting, if not spectacular, too.

why would you paint it when it will fade with time?! if' its painted it will need refinishing on regular intervals in the future, whereas if you let it fade the maintenance and hassle for the owners is minimized. it is one thing to demand something, and another when your demand has no logic.

Probably for the same reason I make my bed every morning.

I for one liked the thought and detail that went into preparing this building. I'm just a little disappointed at the end result, when the potential was there.

why would you paint it when it will fade with time?! if' its painted it will need refinishing on regular intervals in the future, whereas if you let it fade the maintenance and hassle for the owners is minimized.

With paint, you don't see the many imperfections of the undersides of balconies, and the building has a cleaner and more consistent look. The minimalist style of architecture that's common today makes imperfections in concrete more noticeable. The sloppy look of unpainted balconies often looks ugly. In addition to public realm concerns, the appearance of the building will be a factor in future real estate transactions and is suggestive of the standard that the building was built to and is maintained to.

Painting is just another part of maintenance, one that can be done once every few years. It's not that much of a hassle or expense. It's a similar issue with landscaping. If there's a way to make the undersides of balconies look clean and infuse them with some stronger tones than the generic concrete grey without painting, I'd be all for it. One alternative is not to have exposed balconies or no balconies at all.

The building I'm living in now did a full balcony restoration in 1999 and finished by painting the undersides of the balconies with, presumably, a quality concrete paint. It's 2011 and the paint is still perfect so it's not a maintenance job that has to be completed very often and it doesn't fade. In most cases I'm a fan of painting the undersides of balconies, it looks so much cleaner from the street. Two projects that I really like in my nabe, Radio City and 22 (Wellesley E.) missed the boat here.

It can be decided by building management and tenants if this painting is to be done in the future; in case builder doesn't do it on its own.

1 March 2011, walking by came to this conclusion:

Mirage, you're gonna be living in a very chic (c.2006 when it was designed) Core-designed building. Grade: B+

257xp.jpg

One of a handful of attractive modern buildings in the area. Kicks most CP and Tridel area condos into the garbage bin. The coloured glass panels--not clear in my photo--look fantastic from a distance.

The red box is going to fascinate generations to come. Every building should have features like the coloured glass or the red box--final touches that uplift it beyond just curtainwall and balconies, however shiny that glass may be and however strikingly arranged those balconies are. The gestures should be bold, too, not just tiny subtleties too small for anyone to notice on a busy street.

Back