yeah that is HUGE progress...very nice how quickly this one is coming along, considering they were just installing the first crane back around mid June...15th?

I am sure they want this thing up and running ASAP- there is a lot of competition out there and these types of projects are continually redefining how cities market themselves on an international level.

p5

11 September 2008 photo update

Well, I missed the foundation shot (it's progressing along rather nicely) but here's one I can't resist posting. (Note: the car on the truck is headed to my garage.:D)

DSC00035-2.jpg

If you find yourself down at College & University with a little time to spare, pop into the MaRS Complex and head downstairs to the foodcourt. Get yourself a nice little snack then take the escalator upstairs and walk straight ahead to the benches on the western wall. There you will have a grand view of the construction through the enormous picture windows half a storey above the action. 3 cranes and 50 workers scurrying around the site makes for a very pleasant piece of construction theatre. Ahhh, life is good.

Attachments

• pixy 219.jpg
    pixy 219.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 250
Nov. 12th Update

MaRS is moving along at break-neck speed. The project is at ground level now and the south end is progressing up to level two.

Full site pano, from College Street (very large when fully expanded)

I know people hate it when unsubstantiated rumours/news get posted here, but I've heard from a very good source that this is being put on hold for a while, despite where it is in its construction phase. There may or may not be something in the Globe about it today, but it's too rainy to go buy it...

We're bound to see some cancellations and delays with the economy, but for them to stop this project now just seems a little questionable. They've got heavy public sector funding, construction is well underway, and the progress seems to have been accelerating recently. If nothing else wouldn't it be more sensible for them to take the building up a couple storeys so as to allow for use of the underground parking, retail concourse, and subway connection? At least that way they could generate some revenue off of the building while they wait for things to turn around.

Back