Meanwhile, not that anyone's asked aloud why this is not up on UrbanToronto's front page yet…

but here's why: that's an early rendering. We don't know how early, exactly, and we don't know what changes may be in store before final decisions are made, but don't get too set on what you're seeing here, it's likely to change somewhat!

Ugh! The space between the two old buildings is such a great opportunity to add something special here - an unabashedly modern glass atrium perhaps, to offset the heritage aesthetic. This just looks like a massive building crammed in without any thought to how it meets the street. David P - if you're reading this - please do something!

Last edited:
that's an early rendering. We don't know how early, exactly, and we don't know what changes may be in store before final decisions are made, but don't get too set on what you're seeing here, it's likely to change somewhat!

So it could still look like another brand of lighter or 70's office tower?

Phew!

The tower is just fine, but like others, I think the base/podium needs work (not that we can really make out the details in any event).

AoD commented that it appears "seemingly wanting to be a park and a private, and somehow becoming neither." This base reminds me of the base of Theatre Park, another tower in which the space appears to want to be a park and private space and does not appear to work successfully.

I would much rather see something that tries to incorporate the old bank building (rather than politely sit beside it) or at least provides a modern take on same.

Yup - that was an early "study" only.

Love the style, but the design should be a bit more interesting. Not so straight up. Maybe a bit of a shape to it.

the more i look at the render, i finally realized that it looks kinda dubaish, even the lighting scheme they used looks sunset palmtreeish

Oh, this is suspenseful. The hype for Massey Tower continues, still feeling a good vibe from this...

I guess this false start is a result of the availability of data on the web, and the rapid speed of info going viral.

I like the long, thin vertical windows on the podium which, to my mind, echo the the neo-classical columns of the two heritage structures on either side. Perhaps it is overdoing the allusion, but I would like to see a drawing with some kind of triangular structure near the top of the podium to echo the classical pediments of the two former banks. And my first instinct is to preserve classical symmetry by avoiding the slant to the north of the podium in the rendering.

I will now duck to avoid the return fire of the critics.

Last edited:
the more i look at the render, i finally realized that it looks kinda dubaish, even the lighting scheme they used looks sunset palmtreeish

I hope they have a proper lighting scheme at night. If they make the building glow, it'll be incredible.

roof and podium need change other wise kinda good

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile, not that anyone's asked aloud why this is not up on UrbanToronto's front page yet…

but here's why: that's an early rendering. We don't know how early, exactly, and we don't know what changes may be in store before final decisions are made, but don't get too set on what you're seeing here, it's likely to change somewhat!

True, just wait until the Design Review Board is finished with it.....it will look more like this:

Massey2.jpg

Back