Strong opinions for someone with such basic point of view. Architecture is a helluva lot more intricate than "not a box" = good and "box" = bad. Novelty by definition is two faced.

OMB decision.
http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onomb/doc/2016/2016canlii67464/2016canlii67464.html#TOpoli

Modifications:
• 36-storey building instead of 38

• Reshaping and sculpting the building to open views and increase separation distances

• Reduced number of residential units―from 375 to 344, with an increase in two-bedroom (40%) and three-bedroom (10%) units

• Elimination of many balconies

• Underground parking garage―with elevators enabling cyclists to access dedicated parking for their bicycles―increased from four to five levels, adding 28 resident motor vehicle parking spaces

As requested by the City and Mutual, the Order of the Board in respect of both the By-law and Site Plan is withheld pending notification of the following:

• The City approves the demolition of the existing rental dwelling units and secures a tenant relocation and assistance plan throughs. 37 of the Act.

• The City secures the replacement of the 22 existing rental dwelling units to the satisfaction of the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning.

• The City and Mutual present a final zoning by-law to the Board that provides for securing the rental housing matters above and an executed s. 37 agreement under the Planning Act incorporating these matters along with other appropriate facilities, services and matters.

• The City and Mutual finalize the details of the Site Plan, including conditions.

The Board's review of nearby tall buildings makes no distinction between those at major street intersections and those which are not at those points (and therefore theoretically further from major transit/height/density/etc. nodes). The Board seems blind to that level of planning detail.

I wonder if that had to do with the decrease to 36 storeys and other changes: maybe they felt they had negotiated to something they could live with, even if it wasn't their first choice. Possibly Tribute would have fought for more if the City had not agreed to the proposed reductions, and the City was not confident of a win?

Oh boy...

CulYiEeXYAAqwxV.jpg

Attachments

• CulYiEeXYAAqwxV.jpg
    CulYiEeXYAAqwxV.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 956
They changed the design.
In the original design,there was no 2 balconies.
I m scared it become worst.

upload_2017-8-4_0-33-28.png

upload_2017-8-4_0-35-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-4_0-33-28.png
    upload_2017-8-4_0-33-28.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 962
  • upload_2017-8-4_0-35-5.png
    upload_2017-8-4_0-35-5.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 948
Interior demolition of the 22-unit apartment building is well-progressed - surprised they're gutting the interior instead of simply tearing it down. Maybe asbestos or mold abatement?

There were also a few suits in hard hats inspecting the site and a Tribute-marked car. I imagine a hole will be dug here by the time the frost sets in.

are they still using the lot for staging for the Ryerson residence? I noticed it was fenced off a few days ago when I went by, but I figured it was still just related to the Ryerson project.

Back