Only thing i hate about these developments is it essentially extends the "unwalkability" corridor thats starts from the ellen faircloud building and basically ends at the AGH which is a very unfriendly walkable corridor with no store frontage - now you have to walk past all the student residences etc - theyve basically made anything past that point a "no walking zone" unless you're on the north side of the street, which is a bit weird. Although "mixed use" might put some stuff in, but what is the big question.. I guess this area will be the "campus" area with the rest of the residences staring more in the gore park core area.

it's basically just hotels/student residences/apartments from there onward untill you reach hess, which isn't so much a bad thing but I still hate that corridor.. everything before it is nice rowhouse and nice close together businesses that feels warm and inviting and then you get these cold clinical monoliths.

I do wish there was some retail in the McMaster building. I'm glad that the buildings on Caroline and King both have retail spaces. I'd hope that any McMaster building on the southeast corner had a retail space, even if it was just a McMaster hospitality services spot like the "Cafe on Bay" just south of the property in the health building.

Cladding continues to get installed on the north side, and that black corrugated metal on the south side, no pictures of that. Also much of the fencing by the sidewalk has been removed. Perhaps to lay stone work in the coming weeks?:
1000003914.jpg
1000003920.jpg

It the base going to.. stay.. like that? Looks terribly unfinished.. or is it kept like that to attach to the building that will be built beside it?

Also looks like we finally got a non-flat roof on a building..
I'm not sure, I'd be curious if it's in the documents posted earlier. That being said, it seems like McMaster might want to start on the second building shortly, especially with new funding coming in from the government. Seems McMaster and other schools will need to show a better ability to host international students, and more residences is key to that.

I'm sure that second building is well in the works, we probably just don't know it. Those early images we saw it looked like it was well into design phase.

Back