News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Uh oh!

Nordstar owns Torstar Corp., Metroland Media Group and NorthStar Gaming Inc.
"Given the operational state of the companies, the applicants, employees of the controlled companies, and Torstar’s news readers all stand to suffer irreparable harm if interim relief is not granted," the filing says.
Rivett has asked the court to appoint PricewaterhouseCoopers to manage an asset sale to resolve the "impasse" between the two parties.
The court document says Bitove resigned from Nordstar's board of directors on Aug. 13.

This literally could be the end of the Toronto Star, though I suspect it will be sold of for an amount that a rich Canadian can pay to use it as their personal toy.

An update on this looks like they are attempting an amicable split of the company. This is interesting though as it may become the domain of one guy with ear total control.

Well now.................this should raise an eyebrow or two..............

Well now.................this should raise an eyebrow or two..............

I was never a big fan. Curious that vice-chairman of Eurasia Group is Gerald Butts. Hmmm

A panel discussion last night featuring both Rivett and Bitove.
Apaprently the Star is losing $1M/week. Bankruptcy is a possibility. They also are working to finalise their "divorce". It sounds like one will take the gambling business and the other the paper.

This is always the Canadian cope every single time an American points out that the US is a wealthier society than Canada.

The US is not "the most unequal society in the developed world". It's income distribution looks as follows:View attachment 444974

Americans have a higher median disposable income than Canadians after taxes and transfers.

Just to note, the median is not shown above (but I address that below); inequality is the size of the gap between the bottom 10% and the top 10% and on the chart above, the U.S. does show a very large gap, its difficult to discern if its the largest.

However, there is an easy way to check, lets go over to this page that shows the Gini Coefficient (the most accepted measure of inequality) of each country:

When you rank by Gini, the lower the number, the higher the level of equality........

The U.S. ranks 121st in the world. Canada is 54th.

Of course, some poor places have high levels of equality, so you want to look for developed countries, in which case Slovakia would be best (shows as number 2, but that's deceptive as Afghanistan shows as number 1 with no data)

Every state provides paid vacation.

Absolutely untrue. Not a single U.S. State has a mandatory level of paid vacation

This is an image of minimum paid leave by country from Wikipedia:

1670969642076.png

Note that the grey colour means no requirement in place.

Associated Text:

1670969741032.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ile:Map_of_Vacation_Days_Around_the_World.png

Your healthcare system results in higher taxes and an absurd COL that is not worth what Canada offers.

You came to UT just to insult the entire Country of Canada?

I'm unsure as to why you'd spout off anti-American propaganda.

I'm not anti-American in the least, nor particularly pro-Canadian; I'm a post-nationalist who believes in evaluating facts not pandering to flags, symbols and ethnocentrism.

I know it's crucial to preserving the Canadian identity, but come on. America has higher average wages than Canada,

The correct comparitor would be median wages; that said, I concur, the U.S. does have a mariginally higher pre-tax, Purchasing-Power-Parity adjusted International Dollar factored median wage vs Canada:

1670970108041.png

Source:

However, when factoring in the cost of of out-of-pocket healthcare costs for the typical American (deductibles, co-pays etc.)

1670970200144.png

(source embedded above)

It turns out that number is far larger than the difference in median income.

(in fairness, Canadians also pay out-of-pocket healthcare costs, but the number is about 1/3 of the above, on average)

there's a reason the US has always received more immigrants, and received a lopsided share of Canadians (compared to the number of Americans moving to Canada).

Uh, Canada has a much higher proportion of immigrants moving to it than does the United States, and this has been the case for the longest time. If you mean to compare the absolute numbers, that would be rather silly given the United States has 9x the population to begin with......

Maple Leafs' Morgan Rielly got engaged to Olympic Ice Dancer Tessa Virtue.
She has launched a second career as an Influencer and already is working with big name brands in women's fashion and beauty products, at least as per my teenage niece who says basically every teenage girl her age follows Tessa on Instagram.

We don't have a lot of celebrity lifestyle events here in Canada, but I assume whenever and wherever they get married that is going to be a big one covered heavily by the media, with the A-list of Canadian sports celebrities present.

Jeff O'Neill has mysteriously disappeared from TSN right as the Leafs go farther than ever.
After being gone for a week, there was a brief message and very cryptic statement from the other hosts of his show that "Jeff is OK" and is "on leave from TSN"
His Twitter bio has now removed all mention of TSN and Bell Media. He's been there since at least 2010 and probably earlier, but I can't pick the exact date.
Doesn't seem like a garden variety layoff.

Last edited:

Back