News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

From the CBC story on this we learn:

1660595965190.png

I don't know how they save money here, unless Omar is going to take a pay cut? My guess is that Lisa's contract didn't include/allow for additional digital/streaming segments? Could be that Omar's contract is much more broad if the reason they are giving is "Changing viewer habits".

It's an oddball news show to begin with now still at 11:00 p.m. I know it made sense in the 80's and 90's when people would reliably tune in to get the "news of the day," but in 2022? Everything on their news broadcast people have already read about or heard about online or elsewhere, often in greater detail than they are able to present because they have to cram everything into 22 minutes.

It's an oddball news show to begin with now still at 11:00 p.m. I know it made sense in the 80's and 90's when people would reliably tune in to get the "news of the day," but in 2022? Everything on their news broadcast people have already read about or heard about online or elsewhere, often in greater detail than they are able to present because they have to cram everything into 22 minutes.

Worth saying CTV National News still does well in the ratings.

For the week ending July 25, 2022, CTV National News was the #7 rated show for the week according to Numeris (averaged weeknight numbers)

Also, the newscast airs at 11pm local on the main network, but 10pm eastern on CTV News Channel and ctv.ca

I wonder if its about the demos........

Is the newscast skewing older?

Older Canadians are the wealthiest on average, but they also don't buy as much stuff, which is why advertisers are less keen on them.

They prefer the 25-54 demo; first home, renovations, new children, teens, more likely to be a purchaser of a wider range of goods and services.

Also less likely to be ingrained into buying the same brand all the time due to spouse/new bf/gf, kids etc.).

Worth saying CTV National News still does well in the ratings.

For the week ending July 25, 2022, CTV National News was the #7 rated show for the week according to Numeris (averaged weeknight numbers)

Also, the newscast airs at 11pm local on the main network, but 10pm eastern on CTV News Channel and ctv.ca

I wonder if its about the demos........

Is the newscast skewing older?

Older Canadians are the wealthiest on average, but they also don't buy as much stuff, which is why advertisers are less keen on them.

They prefer the 25-54 demo; first home, renovations, new children, teens, more likely to be a purchaser of a wider range of goods and services.

Also less likely to be ingrained into buying the same brand all the time due to spouse/new bf/gf, kids etc.).
There's a mixed-bag there. I would imagine it generally always skewed older. Even going back to the 90's, I doubt many under 30 years-old regularly watched an 11:00 p.m. national news broadcast. I expect 40+ to have always been their core demo, but then I was only a teenager in the 90's so I can't be sure on that.

Also, there is still some lucrative advertising marketed to older people, notably the pharmaceuticals or the... aids for adult medical conditions (this is my polite way of saying Depends), but also luxury cars are a big one on a show like that which pays out well to capture the 40+ crowd with money to spare. Also the 50+ demo is very much more into tech lately. Both my parents are now in their 70's and both have cellphones and laptops too and use apps and games, etc....

So, assuming what I wrote above is correct, I don't get the demo argument. Their interests may be narrowing, but they are narrowing on those with brands that have big time advertising budgets.

There's a mixed-bag there. I would imagine it generally always skewed older. Even going back to the 90's, I doubt many under 30 years-old regularly watched an 11:00 p.m. national news broadcast. I expect 40+ to have always been their core demo, but then I was only a teenager in the 90's so I can't be sure on that.

Also, there is still some lucrative advertising marketed to older people, notably the pharmaceuticals or the... aids for adult medical conditions (this is my polite way of saying Depends), but also luxury cars are a big one on a show like that which pays out well to capture the 40+ crowd with money to spare. Also the 50+ demo is very much more into tech lately. Both my parents are now in their 70's and both have cellphones and laptops too and use apps and games, etc....

So, assuming what I wrote above is correct, I don't get the demo argument. Their interests may be narrowing, but they are narrowing on those with brands that have big time advertising budgets.

Well, moot point it would seem..........

As Canadaland has a story up with a specific set of allegations of which Bell Media Executive orchestrated LaFlamme's firing and why, and demo's aint it.

It would appear the executive in question likes compliant news people who do what they are told and don't push back.

Well, moot point it would seem..........

As Canadaland has a story up with a specific set of allegations of which Bell Media Executive orchestrated LaFlamme's firing and why, and demo's aint it.

It would appear the executive in question likes compliant news people who do what they are told and don't push back.

I have a feeling this corporate asshole will be forced to resign soon.

I have a feeling this corporate asshole will be forced to resign soon.

Would be nice! But unfortunately these corporate monopolies like Bell and Rogers love a guy who always take the side of the company.

But the issues that CTV journalists have with Melling run deeper. “He’s a company man,” says the high-level CTV source. “He does not stand up for the journalists…He doesn’t like it when women push back and he brags about how he’s destroyed careers of anyone who dares push back.”

Would be nice! But unfortunately these corporate monopolies like Bell and Rogers love a guy who always take the side of the company.

But the issues that CTV journalists have with Melling run deeper. “He’s a company man,” says the high-level CTV source. “He does not stand up for the journalists…He doesn’t like it when women push back and he brags about how he’s destroyed careers of anyone who dares push back.”

Yeah, maybe behind the scenes, but they won't want to be seen backing a power-tripping misogynist who canned a very popular female news anchor just for speaking her mind and creating a toxic work environment to boot. I bet money this idiot will be toast within a week for such a dumb move.

I don't know how they save money here, unless Omar is going to take a pay cut? My guess is that Lisa's contract didn't include/allow for additional digital/streaming segments? Could be that Omar's contract is much more broad if the reason they are giving is "Changing viewer habits".
Every on-air personality (actually their agents) negotiates their own contract. The Star quoted somebody who claimed she made in the neighbourhood of $750K/year. Given her longevity and journalistic background, I doubt Sachedina could argue that, certainly not for a few years so. Even if he escalates, for Bell it's money in the bank for a few years.

Yeah, maybe behind the scenes, but they won't want to be seen backing a power-tripping misogynist who canned a very popular female news anchor just for speaking her mind and creating a toxic work environment to boot. I bet money this idiot will be toast within a week for such a dumb move.
Oh I agree Michael Melling is a power-tripping misogynist. But Ohmar is a “diversity hire”. No way they will fire Michael Melling for hiring a Muslim man helming the biggest National news program in the country. The BLM type groups would have a field day with that type of firing.

Oh I agree Michael Melling is a power-tripping misogynist. But Ohmar is a “diversity hire”. No way they will fire Michael Melling for hiring a Muslim man helming the biggest National news program in the country. The BLM type groups would have a field day with that type of firing.
Firing Melling doesn't mean they have to fire Omar.

Every on-air personality (actually their agents) negotiates their own contract. The Star quoted somebody who claimed she made in the neighbourhood of $750K/year. Given her longevity and journalistic background, I doubt Sachedina could argue that, certainly not for a few years so. Even if he escalates, for Bell it's money in the bank for a few years.
That's an surprisingly low dollar amount. There were reports that Don Cherry already had a $1M annual salary many years before he was fired, even all the way back when CBC had the national hockey rights and he transferred to Rogers there were scattered reports he was by far the highest paid employee ever at CBC and was about to cross the $1M mark on payroll. All that and he was on only on TV one single day each week for a grand total of about 30 minutes of total time between the early and late games.

That Lisa Laflamme is earning less than that now, several years later, while working on screen five days, and probably working behind the scenes every single day each week is shocking.

Last edited:

Wow. You're really throwing around the derogatory term diversity hire, complete with scare quotes, for someone who has explicitly worked for CTV National News for eleven years and for CTV in general many years before that?

That Lisa Laflamme is earning less than that now, several years later, while working on screen five days, and probably working behind the scenes every single day each week is shocking.

I wouldn't say shocking. That's a very healthy level of compensation something in the range of 10x the median wage.

Cherry was paid as an entertainer, not a journalist, and on how easy he would be to replace.

Many of us would not be regular HNIC viewers and likely feel, at the very least, that Cherry stayed well beyond his time; be that as it may; there's little arguing that for a long time, he was must-see TV
to hockey-fans, and that HNIC was a top-rated property for CBC and when factoring in the playoffs, likely their single largest source of ad revenue in most years.

Very different from what a news division anchor can command.

To my understanding, CBC's Ian Hanomansing makes ~ 1/3 less than she did. (in 2017 it was reported to be $275,000, but has since risen from what I can gather)

I gather Dawna Friesen over at Global is in/around 300k.

Back