I wonder if the NIMBY's will even notice the height decrease...or if they'll even care anymore once the towers are up.

I know that a few individuals who were a part of the ratepayer battles against the towers have subsequently purchased units in the new development.

Prior to this development (a few new ones have come on the market nearby) there was a shortage of new condo supply in the community - for empty nesters aging in place sometimes isn't an option and many young people simply could afford low-rise product in the neighbourhood. Minto provided an opportunity that didn't exist before for many people wanting to live at Yonge and Eglinton and other developers have subsequently gone into the area.

The other problem with NIMBYism is that it is often the vocal minority that gets the attention of the media and politicians while the silent majority isn't heard. Many people from the community that were both opposed to the development and others who didn't say anything at the time bought into Minto Midtown.

I always liked the one gothic style roof top rendering that made these towers look like they were destined to be the best residential highrises in the city. Still they look great, but it hurts to think about how much better they were most likely going to be. I think for the most part, Minto just wanted to move ahead given the significant time it took to get through the approval process and begin construction.

I'm quite disappointed that they didn't stay with the original rendering. I wonder why they would use good materials but skimp on the design. Still a nice building though.

Because Minto reached a compromise deal with the city following NIMBY outrage that the proposed towers were too tall and would destroy the neighbourhood. The councillor that made the deal was subsequently voted out of office for the primary reason that she 'cut a deal' with the developers - had the deal not been cut, Minto would have won the OMB case and a version of the initially proposed 54s and 47s towers would have been built.

The NIMBY demands notwithstanding, did Minto really have to shift these buildings out of SOM's hands and into Zeidler's? Those original renderings showed a more elegant design, especially at the roof, than what we are now getting. Not that I hate the result, but I do share the disappointment.

True the SOM design was superior but c'est la vie. It is still a cut above Cityplace and ROCP imo.

The base is unbelievable and I will try to get some pictures soon. Cityplace and the architects involved in ROCP could learn a heck of a lot by copying this base (its scale and use of materials).

I took a look the other day and suprised by the limestone... looks like it was salvaged from the rubble of a Bay Street circa 1906 commercial building. I guess the intentional "distressed" or antique look was part of the plan all along but the renders suggested shiny and new limestone. Interesting.

"The base is unbelievable and I will try to get some pictures soon. Cityplace and the architects involved in ROCP could learn a heck of a lot by copying this base (its scale and use of materials)."

ROCP is (barring some Black Swan event) going to be a major fixture for a generation or two on Bay Street. Is there any precedent for redesiging the base of such a building at such an early stage? Would residents be willing to pay if their property values increased to reflect the improvement?

I am renting there for a few months until my place is ready, and I'm so offended by those cheesy flying buttresses? Are we supposed to believe they are supporting a 50 story structure?

The NIMBY demands notwithstanding, did Minto really have to shift these buildings out of SOM's hands and into Zeidler's? Those original renderings showed a more elegant design, especially at the roof, than what we are now getting. Not that I hate the result, but I do share the disappointment.

The SOM concept was maintained - Zeidler did the detail work. Also SOM was too expensive for Minto to continue on with them doing the detail work - especially after the cost of the OMB case, the carrying costs due to the delays in approvals and the significant lost revenue due to the reduced GFA. I suppose the local "it's too tall" community won concessions at the expense of the architecture - although I still think Yonge and Eglinton is receiving a very high quality project.

The SOM concept was maintained - Zeidler did the detail work. Also SOM was too expensive for Minto to continue on with them doing the detail work - especially after the cost of the OMB case, the carrying costs due to the delays in approvals and the significant lost revenue due to the reduced GFA. I suppose the local "it's too tall" community won concessions at the expense of the architecture - although I still think Yonge and Eglinton is receiving a very high quality project.

If God is in the details Mike, post SOM this project belongs to a lesser God. The gracefulness of SOM's design details have been lost at the top of the south tower, but maybe the north one will fare better. I do still think it's a good project, and I agree with others that it is far, far better than RoCP.

^ I agree completely - I wasn't suggesting that 'god wasn't in the details' - just that as expenses continued to increase the builder had to make compromises. While unfortunate I still think the project is excellent.

While really well executed, I find these buildings a bit stalky for their scale, more height and a smaller floor plate would look better IMO. It'll be interesting to see what else goes up here that might balance these out.

Minto Midtown a few floors away from passing Greenwin Square.

966671910_cafa9f19c6_b.jpg

Mike - isn't Greenwin Square on Bloor East? Aren't the towers at Yonge & Eglinton called Yonge Eglinton Square like the shopping mall below them? I might be behind-the-times in this regard...

...and with a lot of popular culture (kids these days), but that's beside the point.

^ I think you may be right... anyway a couple floors from passing that big concrete office tower at Yonge and Eglinton.

Back