To keep things nuanced enough, once you dip closer to Harbord, that area starts getting known as Harbord Village. But that seems to be more east of Bathurst. West of it gets more ambiguous. Google tends to label every 5-6 blocks or so something different. Although I've never really considered Palmerston or Bickford Park to be substantial enough to be their own neighbourhood names.

Seaton Village generally works but I've considered that to be more north of Bloor, going up to Dupont.

That's just the nature with the older Toronto areas west of downtown. I've always considered myself a Davenportonian, but based on the location I live and grew up, it's in a section that borders and can be somewhat fitting in the Corso-Italia and Junction Triangle areas too.

Mirvish Village is technically in Palmerston-Little Italy according to this Wiki entry:

...and here is the disputed area of The Annex:

Either way, what is being constructed now in Mirvish Village is making it's presence considerably known to the western part of The Annex. As I am sure it is with the Seaton, Harbord and Palmerston communities.

Photos taken April 23rd, 2021:

1619220619419.png

1619220645032.png

Rather busy shot; I wouldn't normally keep it........but I kinda liked the mess:

1619220695259.png

1619220741536.png

1619220763036.png

Bloor Frontage:

1619220783215.png

From the west:

1619220805132.png

1619220832914.png

1619220849803.png

Is that spandrel? Grey?

Before people panic at the sight of it, there's no reason to worry about the spandrel use in this project, as the documents only show it bring used to hide the bottom section where it hides the floor plate. I understand it's not the most elegant solution, but depending on how well the glass matches it's really only a small part out of place in the bigger picture. White (colour matched mullions) are encouraging, even if the tone is slightly off.

The curious bit is the new openable window now included, which you can see on the left side on the other tower sections but not indicated here.

1619672112597.png

EDIT: Fun little observation in the documents, but the food mosaic frit pattern is really cute. also notice the golden mullions, should look classy.

1619672616893.png

The curious bit is the new openable window now included, which you can see on the left side on the other tower sections but not indicated here.
I get that people living there need air, but whole bunch of those is going to make the cladding super busy taking away the elegance of the design, IMO.

I get that people living there need air, but whole bunch of those is going to make the cladding super busy taking away the elegance of the design, IMO.
I found this clip from the negotiation process that led to the operable windows:

those windows look... dare i say it, almost european?
Cringe meter just jumped to 100. European = Good; Canadian = Bad? I realize Canadians are famously self-deprecating but the self loathing gets a little much some times. How about saying I love them because they're a great example of modern Canadian architecture?

Cringe meter just jumped to 100. European = Good; Canadian = Bad? I realize Canadians are famously self-deprecating but the self loathing gets a little much some times. How about saying I love them because they're a great example of modern Canadian architecture?

lmao your comment is the only one that screams insecurity! I was just making an aesthetic observation based on what I have seen buildings overseas use for glazing. It wasn't a loaded statement at all.

Last edited:

Back