It should also be noted that the Transitway will unlock the potential of lands along Eastgate. There's development at Eastgate and Tomken going on now. Also, the established business park along Tahoe has plenty of parking lot infill potential if employees start taking the Transitway.

Eastgate is beside the hydro corridor, right? And the Airport Corporate Centre is mostly too close the airport, so height limit and no residential.

I think it will affect development in MCC mostly. With Mississauga Transitway along 407 Transitway and other GO transitways, MCC will be become a regional transit hub, in a way it wouldn't have become with a Burnhamthorpe Transitway.

The 407 transitway, which will connect to the Mississauga Transitway in the west end, also makes these pictures of Hazel as a mean-spirited dictator hard to believe. This is clearly not just a Mississauga idea, let alone a Hazel idea. GO already has a lot of riders using it's Highway 407 corridor buses, which are certainly busier than anything along Burnhamthorpe.

Mississauga's "Long Term Transit Network Map" also shows the complete Mississauga Transitway with the 407 Transitway. Note the airport transit connection at Renforth, and higher order transit for Lakeshore in addition to Hurontario and Dundas.
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/MOP/Schedules/6-TransNetCntre_V8.pdf

Does anyone looking at this map say it's a bad idea, and it's all because of Hazel?

I think you also have to cosnider all the angry protests in Toronto against Mississauga Transit's Burnhamthorpe buses in the past, and you can see another reason why Mississauga does not even consider the idea of Burnhamthorpe BRT. The TTC, with the backing Toronto councillors, including those of downtown, actually banned MT buses from Islington to support the protesters. So to this day, route 76 is still diverted off Burnhamthorpe onto Highway 427 resulting in a less direct route in order to placate those protesters and the City of Toronto (ridership along routes 26/76/86 has declined ever since that time).

Actually, maybe BRT along Burnhamthorpe isn't a bad idea after all. I wouldn't mind Mississauga building the Burnhamthorpe Transitway and doubling the amount of buses just to piss off Toronto, basically give Toronto the middle finger. Maybe this Penalosa dude is onto something here.

As for a BRT on Burnhamthorpe, one is not require west of Hurontario and hard for the east until Mississauga takes over TTC Route 50. I wrote a business case in 2005 & 07 calling for Mississauga taking over TTC route 50 and is supported by Metrolinx.

As for the map, yes Hazel is a fault for it by allowing ring roads, not completing east-west/north-south roads that would help to create a true grid system that can't be done today. Some of these issues were there before she came to power. She wasn't a strong transit support until I came on the scene.

In today Mississauga News paper, they have an piece on the Transitway that was on line Feb 29 but never saw it then.

Only can say I told you so from my 2004 written opposition to it as a BRT.

As for number, don't thinks so as you will have more going west to UoM than Toronto/Malton considering the is no ROW to the west. I am sure some GO Transit number are being use to bump the numbers.

Transitway over budget and behind schedule

An expensive white elephant

As for a BRT on Burnhamthorpe, one is not require west of Hurontario and hard for the east until Mississauga takes over TTC Route 50. I wrote a business case in 2005 & 07 calling for Mississauga taking over TTC route 50 and is supported by Metrolinx.

I don't see why a Burnhamthorpe BRT is needed with the street being mostly residential. Burnhamthorpe has always been a busy route mainly because it's the straightest route to the subway but now there's the transitway for that.

I don't see why a Burnhamthorpe BRT is needed with the street being mostly residential. Burnhamthorpe has always been a busy route mainly because it's the straightest route to the subway but now there's the transitway for that.

Except that Mississauga's Square One is at the corner of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe. I hear there's a rumour that Square One is a very busy, crowded, and big shopping mall. That maybe one reason for a BRT along Burnhamthorpe.

Eastgate is beside the hydro corridor, right? And the Airport Corporate Centre is mostly too close the airport, so height limit and no residential.

I think it will affect development in MCC mostly. With Mississauga Transitway along 407 Transitway and other GO transitways, MCC will be become a regional transit hub, in a way it wouldn't have become with a Burnhamthorpe Transitway.

The 407 transitway, which will connect to the Mississauga Transitway in the west end, also makes these pictures of Hazel as a mean-spirited dictator hard to believe. This is clearly not just a Mississauga idea, let alone a Hazel idea. GO already has a lot of riders using it's Highway 407 corridor buses, which are certainly busier than anything along Burnhamthorpe.

Mississauga's "Long Term Transit Network Map" also shows the complete Mississauga Transitway with the 407 Transitway. Note the airport transit connection at Renforth, and higher order transit for Lakeshore in addition to Hurontario and Dundas.
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/MOP/Schedules/6-TransNetCntre_V8.pdf

Does anyone looking at this map say it's a bad idea, and it's all because of Hazel?

I think you also have to cosnider all the angry protests in Toronto against Mississauga Transit's Burnhamthorpe buses in the past, and you can see another reason why Mississauga does not even consider the idea of Burnhamthorpe BRT. The TTC, with the backing Toronto councillors, including those of downtown, actually banned MT buses from Islington to support the protesters. So to this day, route 76 is still diverted off Burnhamthorpe onto Highway 427 resulting in a less direct route in order to placate those protesters and the City of Toronto (ridership along routes 26/76/86 has declined ever since that time).

Actually, maybe BRT along Burnhamthorpe isn't a bad idea after all. I wouldn't mind Mississauga building the Burnhamthorpe Transitway and doubling the amount of buses just to piss off Toronto, basically give Toronto the middle finger. Maybe this Penalosa dude is onto something here.

Why were they protesting the busses?

Until Burnhamthorpe is redevelop with development facing the street as will being more than 6 story tall, you not going to generate the ridership to support a BRT ROW.

Rockwood Mall is supposed to see 1,100 residential units with another 900 around it. You got the vacant land at Confederation Dr that will see high density over the next 20 years as well Parkside Village across from it.

South Common Mall is supposed to see redevelopment with residential in the coming years. There are a few other spots that can support higher density.

The Transitway is a GO Thing for interregional travel with very little use for Mississauga Transit.

What the 2004 EA call for and what been built are 2 different plan with a great chunk cut from it. Even the lower level for Sq One City Centre Terminal is not been used for the Transitway.

Even the ridership on Burnhamthorpe in Toronto doesn't have the density to support a BRT.

Ok, I'll arrange it.
Because I had no idea why you wanted us to know what you wrote or advocated for. Maybe you are running for political office?
some of us might wonder why you are so bothered about it and couldn't, you know, just let it go rather than respond as you did?

Was that lower level for the Mississauga bus terminal even built?
Yes it was and part of it is currently been used for the washroom and access to the mall. the rest is under the upper level.

Except that Mississauga's Square One is at the corner of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe. I hear there's a rumour that Square One is a very busy, crowded, and big shopping mall. That maybe one reason for a BRT along Burnhamthorpe.

Transitway buses serve Square One. Think before being snarky and making others sound like idiots lest you end up sounding like one yourself.

Ok, I'll arrange it.
Because I had no idea why you wanted us to know what you wrote or advocated for. Maybe you are running for political office?

Your behaviour is inappropriate.

Drum has been active for years in Mississauga and Toronto transportation circles for a very long time, writing submissions and documenting transit projects.

There's no need for a BRT on Burnhamthorpe. At most, an express bus and even that'd be pushing it. I think having all day 76 service couple with improved 26 service is enough.
I stopped using the 109 to go to work. I found the 76 is quicker, and it's a shorter walk from the stop to my office.

Back