Tuesday the 16th you mean? Too bad...I was hoping to take advantage of the free UP Express service on Saturday to check out the new stations.
That for the 2 new station as the rest is open now.

Feb 23
Had my first ride on the new section and its a slow section to speed limit.

The stations are shorter than the other ones.

Feb 23
Orbitor Drive
24599143143_254b7ff050_b.jpg

25132825661_db6b1c34a7_b.jpg

25226023345_29c942579c_b.jpg

25226025485_150875d5ae_b.jpg

I use the Transitway to go home from work everyday, and Miway didn't adjust the schedule for the two new stations, so my bus sometimes waits up to 2 minutes at SkyMark because Miway is so insistent drivers must strictly adhere to the schedule.

I use the Transitway to go home from work everyday, and Miway didn't adjust the schedule for the two new stations, so my bus sometimes waits up to 2 minutes at SkyMark because Miway is so insistent drivers must strictly adhere to the schedule.
That won't change until the next service changes occur. We wouldn't want people to be angry when they arrive down the road a few minutes early and people miss their bus.

A respected city-building expert is slamming the Mississauga Transitway, says it's an example of “doing the right thing, but not doing things right.”
“I don’t see how it will work on the 403. It’s horrible. It should have been built along Burnamthorpe, the heart of the city.” Already a six-lane roadway, dedicating two lanes for BRT wouldn’t have had a huge impact on existing traffic and it would have connected more people to key destinations, said Penalosa.

For instance, he said, it could have provided a rapid transit route from UTM to the City Centre and given 12,000 to 15,000 students easy access to downtown amenities. The problem is that in order for people to access the Transitway along Highway 403, they have to drive to it, defeating the whole purpose of its existence.

He blames the former mayor Hazel McCallion for this outcome.
“Under Hazel there was a culture of fear between staff and the mayor, and to some degree between staff and councillors,” said Penalosa. Former senior planner John Calvert shared the same sentiment, telling The News the fear of being fired was palpable during McCallion’s reign.

“She was a good mayor. She had power and control. But you never crossed her,” Calvert said. Penalosa, who worked for the City for three years while McCallion was in power, said “staff didn’t have the guts to go to the mayor and tell her (the BRT) was being built in the wrong place.”

http://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...he-eyes-of-city-building-expert-gil-penalosa/

“I don’t see how it will work on the 403. It’s horrible. It should have been built along Burnamthorpe, the heart of the city.” Already a six-lane roadway, dedicating two lanes for BRT wouldn’t have had a huge impact on existing traffic and it would have connected more people to key destinations, said Penalosa.

The importance of Burnhamthorpe as an artery through Mississauga is overrated. Eglinton, along the Airport Corporate Centre has much more commercial development along it than Burnhamthorpe.

95 per cent of people in the 905 area code still drive to work anyways, he said.

First of all, I am not sure what the rest of 905 has to do with this. And secondly:

Employed labour force by mode of transportation: car, truck or van as driver, 2011
Vaughan 80.8
Brampton 78.7
Richmond Hill 76.5
Oakville 75.4
Mississauga 74.3
Markham 70.0

In other words, this guy doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

If 95 percent of people in Mississauga really did drive to work, BRT would be pointless. BRT wouldn't even be in the discussion, let along under construction.

I don’t see how it will work on the 403. It’s horrible. It should have been built along Burnamthorpe, the heart of the city... The problem is that in order for people to access the Transitway along Highway 403, they have to drive to it, defeating the whole purpose of its existence.

1. Most of the transitway is not along Highway 403.
2. Buses on the transitway are no restricted to the transitway.
3. Mississauga already has a transit system. This transitway doesn't represent the entirety of public transit in Mississauga.
4. Mississauga is also served by GO, and GO buses will also use this transitway.
5. There were already a lot of riders in this corridor even before the transitway was built:
Average Weekday Boardings, 2012
110 University Express 8,034
107 Malton Express 1,467
109 Meadowvale Express 1,380
18 Northwest Explorer 1,014

Hurontario, Eglinton and Dundas are all busier corridors than Burnhamthorpe. 110 University (which uses Highway 403) is busier than Burnhamthorpe too. Are people driving to use the 110?

Burnhamthorpe is almost purely residential, just single family homes I'm not sure why you would build BRT there. There's already BRT/LRT being studied for Dundas, and of course there is the Hurontario LRT.

This transitway has its problems but I am not exactly is the point of pretending Mississauga doesn't have other corridors for BRT/LRT planned, or that it doesn't have any transit system period. The system get 36 million riders annually and is the fourth largest system in Ontario behind TTC, OC Transpo and GO, but according to him it doesn't exist.

Back