News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We collectively didn't take Olivia Chow seriously because her platform and message was lacking and it was clear that Tory was the anti-Ford candidate. I should have been her ideal demographic, and yet not once during the election did I feel like my vote should have gone to her.

Anyway, I would say be careful what you wish for. Or do I really need to remind you that the current multicultural diversity of city council includes the likes of: Crisanti, Di Ciano, Mammolitti, Nunziata, Di Giorgio, Palacio, Minnan-wong, Thompson, Karygiannis, Chin Lee, Raymond Cho, and Neethan Shan.
So does that mean Smarttrack in your mind was a better idea then continuing with the LRTs? Ive yet to see smarttrack as anything more than a house of cards.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/olivia-chow-campaign-platform-highlights-transit-1.2786518

"Many of the platform planks outlined in Friday's announcement have been released before, including:

• Surface rail instead of a subway extension in Scarborough.
  • A move to get studies underway for a downtown relief subway line, which is Chow's No. 1 transit priority.
  • A reduction in overtime costs for police officers through better management of officers' shifts and less paid-duty work.
  • Move to block the use of jets at the Billy Bishop Airport.
  • 15,000 new affordable housing units.
  • 3,000 more child care spaces, 500 more affordable childcare subsidies.
Other platform planks announced Friday include:

• Zero-tolerance policy on pedestrian deaths.
  • Allow neighbourhood residents to request a 10 km/h speed limit reduction.
  • Bring a traffic liaison into the mayor's office.
  • Add 200 km of new bikes lanes and improve maintenance on existing bike lanes.
  • Abolish the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB).
  • Increase arts funding to $25 per capita, per year.
  • Shorter election campaigns.
  • A vow to publish and make available to the media the mayor's daily schedule.
  • Advocate for a handgun ban."
I highlighted the things in there which sound very similar to 2018 promises. So it sounds like Olivia was advocating what Jennifer is now just 4 years earlier but not white... Are you voting for Keesmat?

^what's wrong with Neethan Shan?

Overall, I still have a neutral disposition towards him.

What has soured me over is his support for the Scarborough Subway and his pandering towards his electorate on the issue parroting some of the outright lies that Glen deBearemaeker spouts.

So does that mean Smarttrack in your mind was a better idea then continuing with the LRTs? Ive yet to see smarttrack as anything more than a house of cards.

No. I voted Tory despite of SmartTrack.

Are we really going to rehash election transit promises from 4 years ago? Olivia Chow did not understand transit issues very well despite being a one-time NDP transit critic, and that was demonstrated well in that campaign. She had a terrible bus plan that I spoke out against on here 4 years ago, and spent a considerable amount of time riling up local residents against provincial GO-RER plans because they were on the same corridor as SmartTrack. Her solution to Scarborough was to flip back to the unpopular LRT (instead of proposing something worthwhile like interlining with Eglinton), and she did not make the Relief Line Long a campaign priority.

I think we should stop looking towards our politicians for transit plans, period. Leave that work to professionals.

We still have "First Past The Post" (FPTP), and not "Ranked Voting" or "Instant-runoff voting" (IRV). See link.

I would compare city council seats to MPP and MP's.

A lot of minorities win as MPs as they run on the name of the party.
Its more that city council seats run on name and frankly I think a lot of minority candidates have issues with that especially against incumbents that have been there for decades.

I am white and I am tired of almost all white elections in a city which is supposed to be diverse.

What difference does it make what race or gender the candidates are? There's nothing stopping anyone from running. Anyone who votes based on race or gender is a bigoted fool but that's besides the point.

Seems to me your comment demonstrates a bias against Caucasians and does nothing to advance any particular candidate's platform.

I would compare city council seats to MPP and MP's.

A lot of minorities win as MPs as they run on the name of the party.
Its more that city council seats run on name and frankly I think a lot of minority candidates have issues with that especially against incumbents that have been there for decades.
So the issue is incumbency advantage in municipal elections then.

I agree.

What difference does it make what race or gender the candidates are? There's nothing stopping anyone from running. Anyone who votes based on race or gender is a bigoted fool but that's besides the point.

Seems to me your comment demonstrates a bias against Caucasians and does nothing to advance any particular candidate's platform.
If you think I would vote for someone just because they are not white then you do not know me very well. I obviously want the best candidate. Of course anyone can run. The question is why aren't more people running from other ethnicities. I don't know how that is not a fair question in 2018. Btw I am watching Pocahontas on TV as I write this and I don't like the idea that we MAY still think that its the white persons job to lead the others or as john smith would say "savages".

If you think I would vote for someone just because they are not white then you do not know me very well. I obviously want the best candidate. Of course anyone can run. The question is why aren't more people running from other ethnicities. I don't know how that is not a fair question in 2018. Btw I am watching Pocahontas on TV as I write this and I don't like the idea that we MAY still think that its the white persons job to lead the others or as john smith would say "savages".
This idea that we immigrants and visible minority people need to be coddled to by white people to run for office, is in itself, a reverse version of the white man's burden/noble savage. You can look it up; 'soft bigotry of low expectations'.

We don't need your help. If we choose to run, we will run. If we win, it is because we were effective candidates that convinced people to vote for us, not because white people chose for it to be 'our time'.

This idea that we immigrants and visible minority people need to be coddled to by white people to run for office, is in itself, a reverse version of the white man's burden/noble savage. You can look it up; 'soft bigotry of low expectations'.

We don't need your help. If we choose to run, we will run. If we win, it is because we were effective candidates that convinced people to vote for us, not because white people chose for it to be 'our time'.
Well be my guest if you want to think I want to treat election roles like a charity. No different then I think different genders bring something to a conversation I think people from other cultures can help as well. By no means was I trying to insult anyone or make you feel like you need my charity. In fact its the opposite. Often times I think some people are simply being elected because of their name, or because they "look the part" and that does nothing to help us grow.

Well be my guest if you want to think I want to treat election roles like a charity. No different then I think different genders bring something to a conversation I think people from other cultures can help as well. By no means was I trying to insult anyone or make you feel like you need my charity. In fact its the opposite. Often times I think some people are simply being elected because of their name, or because they "look the part" and that does nothing to help us grow.
The thing to blame then, is incumbent advantage.

If you think I would vote for someone just because they are not white then you do not know me very well. I obviously want the best candidate. Of course anyone can run.

...don’t know you, not judging you, don’t really care about your opinions either way.

The question is why aren't more people running from other ethnicities. I don't know how that is not a fair question in 2018.

Again, why does it matter? It’s arguably the most open, free and tolerant metropolitan area on earth so who cares why? No one is denied the right to run for public office.

Btw I am watching Pocahontas on TV as I write this and I don't like the idea that we MAY still think that its the white persons job to lead the others or as john smith would say "savages".

Who’s this ‘we’ you’re referring to? Likely no one on this messge board.

Back