News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Don't blame the state for what individuals themselves are the best at doing.

AoD

I'm not blaming the state for the personal consequences of individuals' actions. I'm blaming the state for infringement on individual freedoms resulting in the consequences of criminality.

This applies to a few differing spheres of individual freedom and responsibility. The right to talk smack isn't the only one.

I'm not blaming the state for the personal consequences of individuals' actions. I'm blaming the state for infringement on individual freedoms resulting in the consequences of criminality.
This applies to a few differing spheres of individual freedom and responsibility. The right to talk smack isn't the only one.

s.1 of the Charter - we have always operated on the principles of peace, order, good government - and those freedoms are not absolute under Canadian law.

AoD

s.1 of the Charter - we have always operated on the principles of peace, order, good government - and those freedoms are not absolute under Canadian law.

AoD

Yes, those are collective rights though and not individual freedoms.

Do we not preach about an individual's freedom of association? Freedom to criticise? Freedom of person? Freedom of thought? Freedom to do with themselves as they please?

I mean we just had a spat with those bastard Saudis about individual freedoms.

We ourselves have a long way to go.

Do we not preach about an individual's freedom of association? Freedom to criticise? Freedom of person? Freedom of thought? Freedom to do with themselves as they please?

Nope, those are individual freedoms - they were never absolute. The whole “fire in the theatre” argument - and relating ourselves to Saudi is just ludicrous.

AoD

Nope, those are individual freedoms - they were never absolute. The whole “fire in the theatre” argument - and relating ourselves to Saudi is just ludicrous.

AoD

Sorry, peace, order, and good government are not individual freedoms.

What's ludicrous is lecturing the Saudis on human rights whilst selling them weaponised armoured carriers and continuing to criminalise our own citizens for exercising their freedoms.

Intrinsic human rights aren't granted by the state. They are universal and transcend any and all social contract documents.

Last edited:

What's ludicrous is lecturing the Saudis on human rights whilst selling them weaponised armoured carriers and continuing to criminalise our own citizens for exercising their freedoms.

Intrinsic human rights aren't granted by the state. They are universal and transcend any and all social contract documents.

No, but they are the founding principles of this country - we understood not all rights can be taken to the limits. This limitation is baked into our constitution - there is no such thing as "intrinsic human rights" without context. Also, the government can't arbitrarily limit rights - they can and will be tested in the courts.

Bringing Saudi Arabia into the discussion as an analogy is just an off note false equivalency - call me when we start hacking our own citizens with bone saws.

AoD

Last edited:

AoD

Clarification, S.1 is the Reasonable Limits Clause. Fundamental Freedoms are section S.2

POGG is not in the Charter, but in the BNA Act portion of the Constitution and while often thought of as a 'motto' of sorts, it actually functions in law as the Federal Reserve Powers Clause.

As note by Alvin the comparison is an over reach and doesn't serve your otherwise legitimate point well.

Correct that POGG is not a set of individual freedoms, but S.2. of the Charter is:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

However, S.2 in Canada is limited by S.1.

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

I hope @AlvinofDiaspar would concur if I asserted that his underlying point was simply that rights don't exist in a vacuum. They are all granted by others (society/government etc.) in as much as virtually any right for anyone
has the effect of limiting someone else's freedom.

The question for any society is one of prioritizing those freedoms/rights as well as ensuring they are as widely (equally) distributed as possible (assuming we agreed that was an end goal)

It is possible to hold the view that the Canadian state and most other nation-state governments have at times, and still do today limit the rights of their citizens, sometimes to excess without intellectual justification.

At the same time one can understand that some limits on rights will always be forthcoming or there would be no laws at all; and there will inevitably be 'grey' spaces where it is challenging to define exactly where a right should stop or an infringement is justified.

I would generally side with @MTown that the onus is on government to show a victim of some kind with supporting evidence when limiting the rights of others.

But I also have time for understanding that not all speech can be protected, as when we tolerate certain forms of intolerance, particularly as public (rather than private) speech, we run the risk of far greater dimunition of rights.

I hope @AlvinofDiaspar would concur if I asserted that his underlying point was simply that rights don't exist in a vacuum. They are all granted by others (society/government etc.) in as much as virtually any right for anyone has the effect of limiting someone else's freedom.

The question for any society is one of prioritizing those freedoms/rights as well as ensuring they are as widely (equally) distributed as possible (assuming we agreed that was an end goal)

It is possible to hold the view that the Canadian state and most other nation-state governments have at times, and still do today limit the rights of their citizens, sometimes to excess without intellectual justification.

At the same time one can understand that some limits on rights will always be forthcoming or there would be no laws at all; and there will inevitably be 'grey' spaces where it is challenging to define exactly where a right should stop or an infringement is justified.

I would generally side with @MTown that the onus is on government to show a victim of some kind with supporting evidence when limiting the rights of others.

But I also have time for understanding that not all speech can be protected, as when we tolerate certain forms of intolerance, particularly as public (rather than private) speech, we run the risk of far greater dimunition of rights.

Sorry I didn't mean POGG is embedded within the Charter - but that as a principle it guided the Charter.

Thanks for the clarification and I am generally in agreement. I may go further and say that philosophically rights are fundamental - but that purist take is not very useful when you are dealing with a society and not just an individual. The question then becomes where to draw the line and the mechanisms by which you allow lines to be drawn. Given the founding principles of the country, we understood that there may be times where it is necessary to limit individual rights for the well-being of society, but those limitations must be governed by law and will be subjected to tests - and subsequent reading of s.1 already placed that onus on the government.

AoD

Last edited:
Bringing Saudi Arabia into the discussion as an analogy is just an off note false equivalency - call me when we start hacking our own citizens with bone saws.

AoD
Not that disagree, but aren't you one of the posters here who start drawing analogies to the Nazis when discussing Bernier or Ford?

I mean... Do you hear me talking about Lenin when discussing Gord Perks.. Or Stalin when discussing Kathleen Wynne?

I think the charter is not being applied congruently - for example - allowing Islamic institutions to spew some of the most vile hate speech I have seen in Canada (or for example the Koghali siblings, one of which ran for councillor) - but God forbid a white person does it. That incongruity tends to rub a lot of people the wrong way.. And it's probably why Goldy got almost 30k votes in TORONTO.

Not that disagree, but aren't you one of the posters here who start drawing analogies to the Nazis when discussing Bernier or Ford?

I mean... Do you hear me talking about Lenin when discussing Gord Perks.. Or Stalin when discussing Kathleen Wynne?

I think the charter is not being applied congruently - for example - allowing Islamic institutions to spew some of the most vile hate speech I have seen in Canada (or for example the Koghali siblings, one of which ran for councillor) - but God forbid a white person does it. That incongruity tends to rub a lot of people the wrong way.. And it's probably why Goldy got almost 30k votes in TORONTO.

I don't believe I equated either to the Nazis - in fact I think I have specifically said that as much as I dislike Ford, he isn't one and that it is excessive to equate the two. I think my discussion has to do with the rise of populist sentiments in Europe and past analogue back in 1920s/30s is suggestive of the types of instabilities that lead to the rise of Nazism, and we should take heed of that. (EDIT - it was Harper: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/black-lives-matter-toronto.25888/page-18#post-1141852; and re: Europe and populism - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/president-donald-trumps-united-states-of-america.26622/page-31)

Now the law is the law and it is colour-blind, one can file a hate speech case against the two if they exist. I don't have the slightest problem with using the law to deal with radicals along such lines. Speaking of Lenin or Stalin though - didn't the brother of our current premier casually called his opponents "two steps left of Stalin" - as someone who is an elected official, at that? Where is the outrage about name-calling then?

And no, don't make excuses for people who voted for Faith Goldy - if one's response to these fringe actors is to jump for the other end of the spectrum and go for a white nationalist, the problem is theirs and theirs alone. So and so make me do it doesn't get you a pass in grade school - it should never do it for adults of voting age.

AoD

Last edited:
I read that article videodrome and I'm sorry to say but it makes "Progressives" sound like a fairly extreme minority position. I'm not sure why the left feels the need to box Tory into an extreme right position. He's not. If this were the United States Tory would be running left of the Democratic Party.

Tory lives in a condo right downtown. He supported bike lanes on Bloor right in front of his own building. He sided with Shelter Services approval of two recent homeless shelters in the Bloor West area.

"Progressives" will not win power for the simple reason that as it stands what could roughly be described as the progressive urban agenda does not resonate with the lives of everyday Torontonians. In another post somewhere I pointed out for instance that the progressive urban agenda completely ignores that policy that makes parking and driving motor vehicles more difficult or expensive has a huge, perhaps greatest impact on lower-middle-class and working poor citizens who require vehicles either for personal use or vocationally. If the left is looking for some soul searching how about asking questions like is left policy even progressive anymore?

Tory's mushy middle give-everyone-a-bit-of-what-they-want philosophy, some car stuff for car people, some transit stuff for transit people, some low tax for low tax people, some bike stuff for bike people, some equity stuff for equity people etc. trounces the progressive urban agenda in basically every Ward. It's mundane incrementalism but you have to admit it's still doing many of the things the progressive urban agenda wants but slowly and more concentrated in areas of the city that are more eager for that landscape. That's okay by me. Diversity is our strength not imposition of one unified vision for the city.

I read that article videodrome and I'm sorry to say but it makes "Progressives" sound like a fairly extreme minority position. I'm not sure why the left feels the need to box Tory into an extreme right position. He's not. If this were the United States Tory would be running left of the Democratic Party.

Yes, he was never particularly right wing, even as PC leader. He was supportive of LGBT issues when many in his party weren't so keen on it. Even some that are considered to the "right" on council are more centre-right than anything.

I find on Twitter, at least with who I follow, that he is considered a bad mayor, sometimes worse than Rob Ford. Most of these people are downtown and a good deal to the left of me. They weren't voting for him no matter what, even if it meant supporting a "progressive" who had no chance of winning.

My vote went to Tory and he routed Keesmaat in my ward.

Last edited:

Back