News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

That was a bit weird for me. That was the first time in any election that I abstained from voting. In this case, for a mayoral candidate. I still voted for the council and trustee candidates.

I even sat there for ten friggin' minutes, trying to figure it out.

I almost ended up voting for Keesmaat only because of the Gardiner thing. Then I almost voted for my homie, Clarke, but didn't because I wanted to vote for a serious mayoral candidate. Then I realised there wasn't one and abstained.

I'm optimistic about Tory for the next four years. Then again I was optimistic about Trudeau and......LOL!....joke's on me.

We shall see. Tory's a good dude, I just don't think he is a leader and he has a few strange ideas that he's much too stubborn about (honestly, if there's a serious terrorist attack in Toronto, I hope the goons blow up the Gardiner...with no one on it or under it, obviously).

I really hope he stands up to that bell-end Ford though, because if he fails to do that now then he's completely done in my eyes. I'll still think he's a decent bloke (because he is) but I'll lose all remaining respect for him as a public person.

First time ever looked up a school board trustee race:

Harpreet Gill 6404 36.50%
Zakaria Abdulle 2553 14.55%
Kim King 1968 11.22%
Alexander Lisi 1713 9.76%
Ali Mohamed-Ali 1629 9.28%

An expected anti-climatic win for Tory. Not a terrible outcome for the left-of-centre progressive urban agenda voter because he hasn't really been all that bad on any of the files he's been criticized on. The manufactured outrage about him was always a bit of a stretch. Slow ponderous change? Sure, but that's how it's always been done in this City.

What's worse, John Tory as Mayor or the prospect of someone other than John Tory being Mayor in 4 years when he plans to step down? That open race is probably more scary. If Keesmaat decides to run again great but she better get cracking walking the earth among the common folk and building some much needed street cred if she wants to have a chance.

Let's face it, 4 years from now the Central City is going to just be richer and more powerful than today minus the representative voting power (also probably less left-wing). The suburbs are going to be poorer and more marginalized. Any centrist "elite" candidate is going to have a rough go versus a populist with their ear to the ground in suburban areas in that contest.

Conrad Black and Joe Warmington must be devastated that Goldy lost badly.

Also, did Tory win every single ward?

Unsure where to talk about the races outside Toronto

I am not surprised Patrick Brown won in Brampton. For all of Patrick Browns flaws he is a very good retail politican.

Linda Jeffrey really fumbled especially with the South Asian community with a very 'steady as it goes' style, while many in the community felt the city was really starting to fall behind in terms of services and quality of life compared to Mississauga.

I doubt Patrick Brown can really change that but he went around the entire city and campaigned hard and very well with the message that seemed more in line with that voters felt in the city.

Clearly this is a textbook case showcasing how important name recogonization is in municapl politics, because only someone with a high profile like Brown could have taken down Linda Jeffrey really.

If Tory is as activist as he suggested in his speech tonight.............that's a big IF
That was a bit weird for me. That was the first time in any election that I abstained from voting. In this case, for a mayoral candidate. I still voted for the council and trustee candidates.

I even sat there for ten friggin' minutes, trying to figure it out.

I almost ended up voting for Keesmaat only because of the Gardiner thing. Then I almost voted for my homie, Clarke, but didn't because I wanted to vote for a serious mayoral candidate. Then I realised there wasn't one and abstained.

I'm optimistic about Tory for the next four years. Then again I was optimistic about Trudeau and......LOL!....joke's on me.

We shall see. Tory's a good dude, I just don't think he is a leader and he has a few strange ideas that he's much too stubborn about (honestly, if there's a serious terrorist attack in Toronto, I hope the goons blow up the Gardiner...with no one on it or under it, obviously).

I really hope he stands up to that bell-end Ford though, because if he fails to do that now then he's completely done in my eyes. I'll still think he's a decent bloke (because he is) but I'll lose all remaining respect for him as a public person.

Ya know, even when I don't completely follow you on a political choice or decision, I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts on how you to came to your conclusion!

Isn’t she someone who would have the blue party running for the hills? I’d have mentioned the other two but I can’t see her self-identifying as orange or red or green.

The CPC might be lurching to the right, but your assessment is correct. Faith Goldy would be a massive liability for the party. Even Maxime Bernier wouldn't let her run for his party.

A twitter troll yes. But her election days are basically done.

Was she even serious, or was this just a way to raise money? Depends on who you ask.

Last edited:
I have seen people on UT and reddit thinking she could win. Mostly folks who get wrapped on transit issues and think the average voter thinks like them.

I've seen people on the *left* thinking she had a shot at winning, mainly on "after Ford and Trump, you never know" irrational-panicky grounds.

Minorities are not necessarily above voting for her.

Indeed, there are reports of her "targeting" the Chinese community (and Agincourt was one of her best wards).

There's probably a lot more parallel to the polyglot "Ford demographic" than those screaming bloody neo-Nazi about Goldy's campaign are allowing for.

Conrad Black and Joe Warmington must be devastated that Goldy lost badly.

Also, did Tory win every single ward?

Every ward. Though Davenport was close (and it was also Saron's best ward, the only one where the "united left" would have beat Tory)

The CPC might be lurching to the right, but your assessment is correct. Faith Goldy would be a massive liability for the party. Even Maxime Bernier wouldn't let her run for his party.

Well, yeah. I thought you were paying attention.
Bernier isn't interested in racists.

I was paying attention. No party at any level would want her now. Though her Twitter bio says that she will be the next PM...

I was paying attention. No party at any level would want her now. Though her Twitter bio says that she will be the next PM...

Who's to say she can't start up her own party, though (probably with the support of various Jim Pankiw types or whatnot)

3rd place Goldy, 3.4%. Anyone who seriously thought she'd manage 10% needs their head examined. (Though of course, 3.4% is too much for the *left* to bear--heck, .34% would be too much for the left to bear. But heck, all that trollpaigning had to be good for *something*. Probably a whole bunch of "she wuz robbed" on Twitter and Sun comments and what have you, though)
Looks like my 10% number was high, just as my 30% prediction for Keesmaat.
At least we can say the Press did not affect the outcome of the Mayor race.
The press likely did pull Keesmaat up a fair bit, and prevent right wing Tory votes from going to Goldy.
In a fair race, Goldy and Keesmaat would have likely been in the ~20% range with Tory still over 50%.

Back