News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I wonder if the recent spike in gun violence could provide an opening for a law-and-order candidate, say a Julian Fantino type?

No thanks. Gun violence is mad shitty, but so are pseudo-fascists. (...and pseudo-commies....I'm an equal opportunity hater of autocrats)

If you’re on the right, you believe the problem is a toxic combination of activist courts using the Charter, whether the actual language or the vibe of the thing (“Charter Values, Living Tree, etc.), to decline to punish criminals

I've seen a lot of reasons put forward for the surge in killings (particularly a toxic tweet by Sue Ann Levy over the weekend), but this is not one of them.

Also, the "vibe of the thing" has never been grounds for Charter interpretation.

During the Harper majority years, Toronto averaged 56 homicides per year.

Since Trudeau was elected, it is at 77.
Since Wynne cancelled carding in 2017, it is at 77.

No doubt carding is a part of it. But the previous government worked hard to increase punishment and send many signals that crime would be punished. Trudeau has set a more lax example that has been seized upon by criminals and courts alike. I also think that Trudeau's legalizing marijuana and generally being lax on drugs has increased gang activity as they adjust to the new norm.

A
I've seen a lot of reasons put forward for the surge in killings (particularly a toxic tweet by Sue Ann Levy over the weekend), but this is not one of them.

Also, the "vibe of the thing" has never been grounds for Charter interpretation.
Actually, it has. The recent Charter decision against Trinity Western’s proposed law school weighed the stated Charter right of religious freedom against unwritten Charter Values the Court decided to make up. The only surprise in that contest was that two justices dissented from the majority. Charter Values are exactly the vibe of the thing, with about as much legitimacy as the term implies.

A

Actually, it has. The recent Charter decision against Trinity Western’s proposed law school weighed the stated Charter right of religious freedom against unwritten Charter Values the Court decided to make up. The only surprise in that contest was that two justices dissented from the majority. Charter Values are exactly the vibe of the thing, with about as much legitimacy as the term implies.

I can assure you that the recent Trinity Western decision was not decided on the "vibe of the thing", but was actually a fairly textbook standard of review case. I would interested in you pointing to the specific values which the SCC "made up", with reference to the specific passages.

No doubt carding is a part of it. But the previous government worked hard to increase punishment and send many signals that crime would be punished. Trudeau has set a more lax example that has been seized upon by criminals and courts alike. I also think that Trudeau's legalizing marijuana and generally being lax on drugs has increased gang activity as they adjust to the new norm.

Proof please.

Oh, and the annual homicide tally reached its peak (86) when Harper was PM. Based on your logic, I can only imagine that Harper was actually giving guns to drug gangs from the back of a van.

Jesus Christ. Managed to even fit in a hysteric reference to "the pot".

A little clarity on the increase in homicides during the first six months of 2018:

One person was responsible for 20% of all murders in the first half of this year. That person was Alek Minassian, avowed incel, who killed 10 people, mostly women, in a span of a few minutes in the North York van attack.
Subtract him and we are still on a pace we have not seen for quite a while (over 10 years).

Man, I like you because you provide a different perspective to the prevailing generalised one around these parts and I need that in my life, but you seriously have to stop with the illogical rubbish.

Carding doesn't prevent crimes, but sterilising poor people might, if you get where I'm going with this.

Back