2555277906_f599ed7380_b.jpg

Incredible density in this pic...thx for this, and all the other pics, ProjectEnd..

great pic! if only morguard would develop that field across from the y...

Why build on an acre of boarded up, prime downtown land which is a 2 minute walk to a subway station when 19th Century Victorian homes can be torn down 5 streets north and redeveloped?

That parcel of land behind 909 Bay St is not actually owned by Morguard (yet).

I sat in on a community forum a while back discussing this plot and we were told that the City actually owns the land and has agreed to sell it to Morguard.

However, the City claims there is some soil contamination and they need to clean that up before any transactions could take place. Seeing how cash strapped the city is, I doubt they have any priority in wanting to spend $$$ on some costly clean up. Although over the past 5 years that land has just sat there boarded up, and prices in that area have skyrocketed (and likely won't ever fall). So I would think it would be profitable for the City to sell it now.

Just my understanding of the situation, and my thoughts.

ya, its been frustrating to see that lot sit empty for so long. wasnt it made into a small park back in the early 90's after some other development fell through?

Why build on an acre of boarded up, prime downtown land which is a 2 minute walk to a subway station when 19th Century Victorian homes can be torn down 5 streets north and redeveloped?

probably because someone else is building on it. (kinda like saying why are victorians being torn down when a 44 storey tower could be built on the commercial lot behind the sales centre for Couture)

Strange, IIRC, the property was provincially owned and sold to Goldlist properties below market value providing they built affordable housing. Goldlist eventually became Morguard and the future condo phases became rentals. Perhaps the city owns a laneway that runs through the property though. Anyways, construction is supposed to begin in the next few months on the next (possibly last) building(~9 storeys, 300+ units)

"Anyways, construction is supposed to begin in the next few months on the next (possibly last) building(~9 storeys, 300+ units)"

Do you have any more information about that empty lot? I'm curious to know how it would be developped and what it will look like.

I'm surprised they would develop such a short building here. I doubt there is any argument that it would interfere with Yonge St (for light), and the rest of the area is highrise condos and office buildings.

I would like to see more green space around that property though. I hate it when new developments use up 100% of the available land for the building footprint. Unfortunately that's usually the case downtown due to land availability.

June 12

From Charles St. and Yonge.
2577619457_4e61d6b907_b.jpg

From Bay St. The north tower is about 29 storeys high with about seven more floors to go.
2577619461_4512dd74c0_b.jpg

Construction workers bringing a stone column to the Murano construction site.
2577619463_f3423590b2_b.jpg

It looks like only one worker is doing most of the work and only one other worker is giving him a helping hand.
2577619489_c66a9aae2c_b.jpg

A police officer has arrived on the scene.
2577619519_3152c859d1_b.jpg

..and it looks like about 23 left to go on Murano south, almost half done now

Back