News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Yup, totally agree with the sentiment - though I do think that the shift towards e-books is a general plus that is a long overdue. That said, I can't see books going away completely - large format, graphics heavy books still have their place in the universe (just thinking that most architectural tomes wouldn't fare too well in a tablet format), and there is still something to be said about high quality hardcovers.

That's been my line of thinking throughout the e-book rollout; instead of coffee table books, are we going to have coffee tables with touchscreen surfaces and e-books? It's hardly the same.

Some news from the Danforth (at least the stretch east of Pape):

1. The old Canada Post sorting station at 685 Danforth Ave (east of Pape, south side) is being renovated, and will open soon as a Dollarama. Not the most exciting new development, but arguably much better for the streetscape than the old mail facility (which was closed off to the street). The big green backdrop along the roofline for the Dollarama signage, however, is not an improvement to the attractive stone and buff-brick facade.

2. The spot formerly occupied by Three's Company, and later by the short-lived Slider Revolution, at 673 Danforth (just east of Pape, south side), will soon be the home of "Greenwood Smokehouse BBQ" (http://greenwoodsmokehouse.com/).

3. Von Doughnuts (http://www.vondoughnuts.com) is about to open at 713 Danforth Ave (further east of Pape, again south side). Formerly home to Crème bakery.

4. The Licks signage is now gone from the northeast corner of Danforth and Pape. Might be an indication that something is happening with the space. ETA: The new tenant will be A&W (http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3450495). This is bad - I am dieting, and I love me a Papa Burger with cheese.

5. According to Toronto Buildings, the emptied half of the old Rogers Video Store (Rogers still occupies on portion of the building on the east side) at the corner of Eaton and Danforth (north side, east of Pape) is being renovated for "a new restaurant (157.9m2) with 60 indoor seats, 52 outdoor seats". Given the corner location, a coffee chain? (http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3453731)

Last edited:

1. The old Canada Post sorting station at 685 Danforth Ave (east of Pape, south side) is being renovated, and will open soon as a Dollarama. Not the most exciting new development, but arguably much better for the streetscape than the old mail facility (which was closed off to the street). The big green backdrop along the roofline for the Dollarama signage, however, is not an improvement to the attractive stone and buff-brick facade.

4. The Licks signage is now gone from the northeast corner of Danforth and Pape. Might be an indication that something is happening with the space. ETA: The new tenant will be A&W (http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3450495). This is bad - I am dieting, and I love me a Papa Burger with cheese.

5. According to Toronto Buildings, the emptied half of the old Rogers Video Store (Rogers still occupies on portion of the building on the east side) at the corner of Eaton and Danforth (north side, east of Pape) is being renovated for "a new restaurant (157.9m2) with 60 indoor seats, 52 outdoor seats". Given the corner location, a coffee chain? (http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3453731)

1. That green signage is hideous. I had hoped it was only temporary but you think otherwise. That building has beautiful art deco lines. There ought to be a law!

4. Oh no. Teenburgers. (Do we really need another burger place?)

5. Can't have enough cafes for all the yummy mummies with their strollers. ut the commercial kitchen exhaust system leads me to believe something else is coming.

It's going to be a eggs/breakfast place

This is near Shaw St. Is this the first location for this concept.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M6K 1E6

Ward 19: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 13 270474 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Nov 26, 2013

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing vacant ground floor retail unit for new tenant - "King Street Market' (Loblaws).

Savemore Army Surplus on the NW corner of Queen and Jarvis is shuttered. Sign in the window says its going to be an 'Ends'. I first came across this place in the early 70s. It's been there at least that long, maybe longer. I think this is my 1st post here. :)

No (as far as I know)

As far the 'name'; Loblaws uses that on most 'urban' stores. 'Victoria Park Market'; 'Forest Hill Market', 'Queen's Quay Market'. etc.

As for the concept, I'm not an insider, but my understanding is it will be one of their 'inspiration' stores (ie. similar to Queen/Portland) or as close to MLG as they can get
without spending quite so much money.

Size is the limiting factor more than money. They can't replicate MLG in a small store, but that overall concept is what they are doing with new builds these days.

They do have a new concept coming on King St between Bathurst and Spadina - In a Nutshell, I believe

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M6K 1E6

Ward 19: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 13 270474 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Nov 26, 2013

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing vacant ground floor retail unit for new tenant - "King Street Market' (Loblaws).

Probably going to be the same concept as Bloor Street Market (owned by Loblaws) in the Manulife Centre. It's owned by Loblaws, but the store sign has no reference to Loblaws, although they sell PC products and you can use your PC card too. Doubt this is a new concept, just a continued concept of the current Bloor Street Market.

Bloor st Market is a weird anomaly in the Loblaws family. It used to be a valu-mart, and valu-marts are franchises under the National grocers division of LCL. If you look at the online store finder, there are all the other groupings of stores under their various banners, bith corporate and franchise, and then there's Bloor St Market on its own. I'll ask around and see what I can find out from my contacts at LCL

DNA 3 Condo – 1030 King St W

DNA 3 Condo at 1030 King St W is the magnificent Third Phase of the DNA buildings. DNA1 and DNA2 were such a roaring success that it just made sense to complete the trio by adding this building on the north-west corner of King St W and Shaw St. The news keeps getting better and better, not only for DNA3 but also for the nearby Liberty Village neighbourhood and King West neighbourhood because Loblaws Grocery store is now slated to become the anchor tenant on the ground floor retail portion of the building. This building and its amenities are a stellar addition to the neighbourhood. For updates on the Loblaws project you can read about them at LibertyVillageToronto.com

Award winning Graziani + Corazza Architects, the same architects who designed the first two phases are the designers for DNA3 and will continue the theme of a sleek glass exterior. World renowned Cecconi Simone, the interior designers of the DNA trilogy, once again work their magic with contemporary finishes.

DNA3 is a spectacular mixed-use development with 14 floors representing 603 units and 20,000 sq. ft. of prime retail space, 10,000 of which is occupied by the Loblaw’s Urban Market concept.

Residents will have access to over 6000 square feet of amenity space including a fully-equipped training gym complete with exercise studio, yoga room, his and hers change room and Toronto’s first “Rain Room”. Other amenity features will include an outdoor landscaped terrace with “misting station”, private party rooms, a games room with bar and lounge, theatre room, and a business centre.

Back