News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Los Angeles based fashion brand, James Perse, is opening a new store at 1070 Yonge Street. Former location of Want Apothecary, just north of Rosedale station.

Surging growth of cannabis retailers in Ontario could lead to a wave of closures, experts warn

July 18, 2021

In early 2020, there were just 67 stores open across the province. But today there are 817, according to numbers provided by the AGCO. Another 173 stores, including the Superette store next to Flower Pot, are on the verge of opening, having obtained Retail Store Authorization (RSA) licences, the final step in the process.

This dramatic mushrooming of cannabis shops is cause for concern, industry experts say. Some of them now believe a wave of shutdowns is on the horizon if the province keeps granting more store licences.

“Not everyone is going to make it,” said Matt Maurer, a partner at the Bay Street law firm Torkin Manes, and the co-chair of the firm’s cannabis group. “Some owners are definitely having a tough go. No one likes having four other cannabis stores on their block.”

Current AGCO data show there are 1,039 RSA applications in the queue, meaning the number of outlets could burgeon even further, eventually surpassing the total number of stores selling alcohol in Ontario.

And the provincewide figures don’t show how densely concentrated cannabis stores are in some areas.

There are approximately 280 stores either open or authorized to open in Toronto, many of them clustered together in high-density neighbourhoods. A three-kilometre stretch on Queen Street West, for example, has 23 cannabis stores either open or about to open.

There are another eight cannabis stores just a block north of that, on Dundas Street West. Nearby Kensington Market, which was a hotbed of cannabis-friendly venues long before legalization, now has a cluster of five legal stores, two of them next to each other.

Surging growth of cannabis retailers in Ontario could lead to a wave of closures, experts warn

July 18, 2021

I noticed this Downtown where i seems like every 100 meters or so there is a pot shop. There is no way to support that level of supply and eventually it will lead to closures.

Really, you only need three in the whole of Downtown not the gazillion there are now. It's Starbucks all over again.

I noticed this Downtown where i seems like every 100 meters or so there is a pot shop. There is no way to support that level of supply and eventually it will lead to closures.

Really, you only need three in the whole of Downtown not the gazillion there are now. It's Starbucks all over again.

Speaking of which, guess what's opening in the former Starbucks / Oliva Cafe location at 132 Front St. East? Fire & Flower. I think that will make at least 4 pot shops in the block around King/Sherbourne area so far.

Speaking of which, guess what's opening in the former Starbucks / Oliva Cafe location at 132 Front St. East? Fire & Flower. I think that will make at least 4 pot shops in the block around King/Sherbourne area so far.

If only PCP, Quaaludes, MDMA and LSD were legal... things would be so much better if people were hearing colors, seeing long dead relatives and smelling the rainbows.

To join the three on Front just east of Church!

Ottawa-based Kettleman's Bagel, are opening a new store at Front & Niagara Street later this year. It'll be their second location in Toronto, after opening one in Etobicoke last year.

Back