8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
An Ohio steel town that named themselves after us.

"In 1881, after a vote, the town was incorporated under its present name. This was taken from the much larger Canadian city of the same name, which civic leader Thomas M. Daniels felt was a place worth emulating."

Birthplace of the late actor Robert Urich [Vegas, Spencer for Hire]. He married Sound of Music star Heather Menzies, a Toronto girl. Therefore, a union between a man from Toronto Ohio and a lady from Toronto Ontario. :)

I spent a couple of hours here with a camera. I had nice meal and caused a couple of police cars to slow down - I guess they don't see many people strolling their North 4th street with a camera.

The pictures below depict an unimproved downtown. However Toronto Ohio is a economically thriving place. There are two steel mills. One is owned by the global giant Arcelor Mittal. The second has a sign in front proudly proclaiming titanium castings - an activity that hints at defense contracts. There was a rush hour of sorts of mostly late model cars and I had to beware of the traffic. Homes are immaculately maintained. Many dozens of them are located just off the downtown pictured below. There are blond coloured brick paved streets bordered by multi-coloured wooden houses in some areas - a striking appearance, but rain started before I could take a picture.

I found it odd that Toronto could turn it's back on its central business area but perhaps they simply haven't gotten around to revitalizing it. There is a mall that serves the area so perhaps realities are what they are.

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

http://www.torontoohiochamber.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto,_Ohio

Last edited:
DSC_0236.jpg

Interesting to note the radioactivity sign on the side of that building. Odd fate to befall an old bank, no?

The 5th picture shows a neat, tight little main drag. If the businesses came back, it could make a lovely pedestrian street.

Of course; how silly of me. I've only ever associated that symbol which danger, never with refuge.

Nice views of the buildings in Toronto Ohio, Mustapha.

But are there no people in that town? It's apparently deserted.

Perhaps an attack is happening and they're all in the fallout shelters.

Last edited:
Nice views of the buildings in Toronto Ohio, Mustapha.

But are there no people in that town? It's apparently deserted.

Perhaps an attack is happening and they're all in the fallout shelters.

These photos were taken at 1pm on a Monday. It was indeed very quiet.

Hey Mustapha, you made to TO, OH, nice! I have a tentative trip planned this summer. I have a few pics from 1904ish. I will post when I get home. It is a little scary. Where is everyone? Now on to Toronto, North Dakota...

Nice photos, Mustapha. It looks like the good folks of Toronto, Ohio are still emulating us by neglecting their historic buildings :p

Hey Mustapha, you made to TO, OH, nice! I have a tentative trip planned this summer. I have a few pics from 1904ish. I will post when I get home. It is a little scary. Where is everyone? Now on to Toronto, North Dakota...

oops my bad. it's Toronto South Dakota and the 1906 pics i have are from there...

Toronto South Dakota. :( Oooy, my bucket list bucket got deeper. :)

With thanks to Aladone for the "birds eye" view below. I have managed to match two buildings.

5470267162_61b6b9da0a_b-1.jpg

DSC_0243-1.jpg

DSC_0237-1.jpg

great shots mustapha! & thanks for the history lesson.

I found it odd that Toronto could turn it's back on its central business area but perhaps they simply haven't gotten around to revitalizing it.

I'm sure there's a Walmart somewhere on the outskirts that sucked downtown dry.

Back