News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Their heritage buildings are in pretty bad shape, but at least they're not burning them down!

Their heritage buildings are in pretty bad shape, but at least they're not burning them down!

For a town this close to Youngstown and right on the border with West Virginia, things don't look to be in bad shape here. It could be a LOT worse. If their mills are still a going concern, that's definitely why. And I did a quick search--they don't have a Walmart....

Oddly enough, I'd never heard of Toronto, OH even though I'm from Ohio. I have, however, been here: http://www.ontarioohio.org/

great shots mustapha! & thanks for the history lesson.

Thanks Supremo!

Perhaps the ugly wooden poles are an art installation as a tribute to Toronto, Ontario?

I just noticed the sidwalks have received some sort of colour spray treatment. And the black colour light standards are new-ish.

I suppose they don't because they are a different kind of Torontonian. :)

For a town this close to Youngstown and right on the border with West Virginia, things don't look to be in bad shape here. It could be a LOT worse. If their mills are still a going concern, that's definitely why. And I did a quick search--they don't have a Walmart....

Oddly enough, I'd never heard of Toronto, OH even though I'm from Ohio. I have, however, been here: http://www.ontarioohio.org/

And I've never heard of Ontario OH, even though I've driven down I71 many times to visit family in Columbus. Only Ontario OH's bigger neighbour Mansfield appears on the highway exit signs.

Last edited:
Mustapha visits Toronto,Ohio...

Mustapha: Thanks for that interesting photo tour of Toronto,Ohio...it has that Western Pennsylvania/WV Northern Panhandle look to it...and the downtown area looks quite interesting with those older classic buildings...one of the best finds was that old map that you posted-it's a classic...

I have always found Ohio interesting because as I have found it does not have a distinct identity and much of Ohio's regions are like the states that surround it...like here Western PA and close by WV for example...the region that parallels
the Ohio River from East Liverpool,Ohio on southward is considered to be "Appalachian Ohio" which has been mentioned to be similar to bordering West Virginia in character...

FAC33: Toronto,Ohio is in Jefferson County north of Steubenville on Ohio Route 7 along the Ohio River...adjacent to Weirton and New Cumberland,WV...
I recall that Ontario,Ohio is a suburb of Mansfield,Richland County...NW Ohio to me is more like neighboring Michigan or Indiana as a comparison...
I was also thinking of Ottawa County,Ohio-which is just E of Toledo...and Ottawa (town or city) is the County Seat of Putnam County in NW Ohio...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
I have always found Ohio interesting because as I have found it does not have a distinct identity and much of Ohio's regions are like the states that surround it...like here Western PA and close by WV for example...the region that parallels
the Ohio River from East Liverpool,Ohio on southward is considered to be "Appalachian Ohio" which has been mentioned to be similar to bordering West Virginia in character...

FAC33: Toronto,Ohio is in Jefferson County north of Steubenville on Ohio Route 7 along the Ohio River...adjacent to Weirton and New Cumberland,WV...
I recall that Ontario,Ohio is in the Toledo area...NW Ohio to me is more like neighboring Michigan or Indiana as a comparison...

LI MIKE

Mike, you're pretty much spot on, although I would argue that central Ohio is probably the only area that isn't like the surrounding states. NE Ohio is definitely akin to Pennsylvania, SE Ohio has a lot in common with WVA and Appalachian Kentucky, SW Ohio is like central Kentucky, and NW Ohio is more in the southern Michigan fold. West Central Ohio is also much like Indiana once you get past I-75. But Central Ohio - Columbus, Springfield, Delaware, Mansfield, and maybe Dayton--is its own thing. Columbus is a university and government town--not so much rural-based, not so much manufacturing-based--and isn't really like any of the other regions in Ohio.

Mike, you're pretty much spot on, although I would argue that central Ohio is probably the only area that isn't like the surrounding states. NE Ohio is definitely akin to Pennsylvania, SE Ohio has a lot in common with WVA and Appalachian Kentucky, SW Ohio is like central Kentucky, and NW Ohio is more in the southern Michigan fold. West Central Ohio is also much like Indiana once you get past I-75. But Central Ohio - Columbus, Springfield, Delaware, Mansfield, and maybe Dayton--is its own thing. Columbus is a university and government town--not so much rural-based, not so much manufacturing-based--and isn't really like any of the other regions in Ohio.

FAC33: Thanks for that reply-come to think of it Central Ohio is arguably the only region in OH that can identify as Ohio's own...because of its location they are not heavily influenced by any of Ohio's boundary states...
By the way-which part of Ohio are you from?

LI MIKE

FAC33: Thanks for that reply-come to think of it Central Ohio is arguably the only region in OH that can identify as Ohio's own...because of its location they are not heavily influenced by any of Ohio's boundary states...
By the way-which part of Ohio are you from?

LI MIKE

I figured you'd see a little homerism in my Central Ohio claim. I was born in Columbus and lived there through my university years (and for a couple of years again about ten years ago.)

Hi Mustapha,

I'll likely be making a stop in Toronto this coming Sunday. Where did you eat?

Back