Seeing what the entire building used to look like makes me hate this building and its terrible facade job even more..

Seeing what the entire building used to look like makes me hate this building and its terrible facade job even more..

Having compared the original building to the current facade, I think the execution is hideos and grotesque (or perhaps demeaning). It reminds me of a sci-fi movie where some unfortunate human has mutated into a monster and all that is felt is their face as an appendage.

There are only two aspects of Lyle which need to be preserved - his ideas and his completed structures. Since there are numerous fine buildings around the city why not let those speak for who he was? I dont know whether Lyle would laugh or cry at this result.

When things are severed from thier context they are simply sad - like some Roman ruin stranded in traffic island or roundabout.

Would it have really killed them to have saved the other wall as well, so that they could've recreated the courtyard? If they had both sides of the L, along with maybe a short return wall back in to the podium they could've almost mimicked the old building perfectly (and made an awesome place for a restaurant/patio to boot

From yesterday, by me:

042yb.jpg

Feb 23
Didn't take long for BMO to setup shop after my last visited a few weeks ago.
5474588669_8ac6e374cb_b.jpg

5474590707_1b3fc0116e_b.jpg

5474591659_1789356b79_b.jpg

5475190868_603891a037_b.jpg

I am favour of saving ture existing building faces, but in this case, it is total out to lunch
5475189138_5b24e387b6_b.jpg

5474593615_f0d4e47d39_b.jpg

It completely fails aesthetically, I would agree, but so what? It's a neat little anomaly, and unexpected, and it contributes a little of the insolite to what is otherwise pretty standard condo fare. If One Bedford were some pure architectural/design masterpiece I might protest too but a hundred years from now this little folly of an architectural vestige might just be the only remarkable part of the whole damn thing.

It completely fails aesthetically, I would agree, but so what? It's a neat little anomaly, and unexpected, and it contributes a little of the insolite to what is otherwise pretty standard condo fare. If One Bedford were some pure architectural/design masterpiece I might protest too but a hundred years from now this little folly of an architectural vestige might just be the only remarkable part of the whole damn thing.

Well said!

Darker glass, or at least a darker tone of spandrel would have elevated this project to that of 18 Yorkville.

Too bad about the weak attempt at facadectomy, if a little more was saved, it would have been much better.

I agree that the attempt to infuse some heritage aspect to this building was terrible.

On another note, does anyone know what they're doing in front of that fireplace? It looks like they're installing a pond or something? I assume this is public space? Maybe Section 37 stuff?

Back