200 floors probably wouldn't fly at Bloor & Yonge...

Depends entirely on how high the floors are:

340x_custom_1220548573196_Being_John_Malkovich_floor.jpg

O.k. I have read everybody's posts as to what they feel the new Number One Bloor should look like and have come up with my own design. My vision was inspired from SP!RE's post.

I think a Moshe Safdie project might be great on this corner. I envision two Pantages Tower type towers rising from separate 6 story podiums with the concave sides facing each other to form a circular plaza in between the two thus creating an area similar to Roy Square between the two towers and allowing for access to the West entrance to the Xerox Tower and subway. I would also stagger the tower heights at 65 for the north tower and 55 for the south tower to maximize south views.

O.k. I have read everybody's posts as to what they feel the new Number One Bloor should look like and have come up with my own design. My vision was inspired from SP!RE's post.

I think a Moshe Safdie project might be great on this corner. I envision two Pantages Tower type towers rising from separate 6 story podiums with the concave sides facing each other to form a circular plaza in between the two thus creating an area similar to Roy Square between the two towers and allowing for access to the West entrance to the Xerox Tower and subway. I would also stagger the tower heights at 65 for the north tower and 55 for the south tower to maximize south views.

hmmm ... i had similar ideas except my podium was L-shaped 200 ft x 220 ft fronting Bloor and Yonge St's, 100 ft deep, 10s tall and interconnected; the towers would have floorplates varying from 60 ft x 80 ft and 60 ft x 90 ft.

retail for 3s, offices for the next 6s, and condo amenities on the 10th.
the rooftop of 10th floor would also be a green roof accessible by owners.

NT would be 65s, ST would be 45s ... N, W and S views would all be unobstructed; NT not so good for E except for higher floors since Xerox Tower is next door, ST would be better since its 120 ft from property line...

Roy Square would be re-incarnated measuring 75 ft x 75 ft, bordered by 25 ft wide L-shaped driveway that will be lined with trees to enhance the pedestrian friendly square.

Last edited:
When you say "Moshe Safdie project", I imagine a Habitat-like conglomeration cascading into the intersection...

When you say "Moshe Safdie project", I imagine a Habitat-like conglomeration cascading into the intersection...

We've already seen one condo proposal like that, but a tall version at Yonge and Bloor would most likely be incredible. In reality though, I don't think he's touched the Habitat concept in decades, at least judging from his firm's portfolio.

We've already seen one condo proposal like that, but a tall version at Yonge and Bloor would most likely be incredible. In reality though, I don't think he's touched the Habitat concept in decades, at least judging from his firm's portfolio.

I know, but still, after all this time, people associate his name with Habitat...

I don't understand the desire for a public square or plaza here. Yonge and Bloor is an instersection, and a very busy and dense one at that. Why not keep it that way?? Why not work to build strong streetwalls here?? There are plenty of cozy nooks in Yorkville only a 2 minute walk away. I just don't see a corporate-designed plaza here being that inviting. Bloor and Yonge should be retail central!

As for tall... yes, bring it on! Toronto needs to show optimism and confidence and building super tall in this economy while the rest of the world is in economic and financial limbo will be a powerful message. Toronto should stake its claim now that we are stable and prosperous and growing. We should definitely be aiming high here. Aren't we all a little tired of the endless excuses and false modesty that so often facilitate Canadian mediocrity?

I recently met an architect who works for Hariri Pontarini but sadly I didn't get a chance to ask him if the boss is indeed designing #1 Bloor. (Next time I see him, I'll dig for info.:D) However, this morning I did have a vivid dream that I was asking him about the site. Since I'm urbandreamer, I'll tell you my dream.:)

1)H.P base/podium is about 10-15 stories high, S-curved.

2)aA does a 55 storey tower above.

3)I woke up too soon for anymore "info."

I don't understand the desire for a public square or plaza here. Yonge and Bloor is an instersection, and a very busy and dense one at that. Why not keep it that way?? Why not work to build strong streetwalls here?? There are plenty of cozy nooks in Yorkville only a 2 minute walk away. I just don't see a corporate-designed plaza here being that inviting. Bloor and Yonge should be retail central!

As for tall... yes, bring it on! Toronto needs to show optimism and confidence and building super tall in this economy while the rest of the world is in economic and financial limbo will be a powerful message. Toronto should stake its claim now that we are stable and prosperous and growing. We should definitely be aiming high here. Aren't we all a little tired of the endless excuses and false modesty that so often facilitate Canadian mediocrity?

Why not ask Jack Diamond or our very own Shocker? They seem to be two of the foremost 'Canadian mediocrity' apologists.

there is an article in today's Globe regarding developers taking over stalled projects, and there is a short quote on 1 Bloor....

"We would have loved to have bought it a few years ago when it was available," said Jerry Patava, the CEO of Great Gulf Homes, which bought 1 Bloor East in Toronto this summer from Bazis International.

Mr. Patava won't say what kind of fire-sale deal he got for the lot at one of Toronto's most desirable intersections, but it's one that "will allow us to develop the property in the context of the current market." (It was previously reported that the price paid by Great Gulf, according to the Ontario Land Registry Office, was $53-million.)

Bazis hadn't started building yet, which is a plus for Great Gulf. It can redo the grandiose 80-storey tower to something slightly more modest - 65 or 70 stories, Mr. Patava said.

article is here....http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/meet-the-developers-willing-to-dive-into-distress/article1330263/

Spectacular sunset purple, or strangulation purple?

Ha! I dare a paint company to use Strangulation Purple as a colour. I would paint a room in my house that colour simply out of respect for the ballsy person who sold it to the execs.

Back