^ there are rumours its going to become a Nordstrom.

I thought the Yonge/Bloor Bay was slated to become a Sak's Fifth Avenue?

Re: the One Bloor East retail portion: do we know if they are making space for a dept. store or other high end retailers?

I am also curious about what will be done for One Bloor West (Stollery's) and just south of Yonge and Bloor, where Noah's health food is. Are those slated for retail or just condos?

Lastly, any word on the long-rumoured 100 story Yorkville tower that was slated to go up not far from this location?

I've heard the same thing ... The Bay here is going to become a Sak's Fifth Avenue

The Bay is in the process of buying Saks so a Saks here makes plenty of sense. Nordstrom is more likely going to the Eaton Centre now that Sears has sold the lease there back to Cadillac Fairview.

Off topic, but Uptown is starting to grow on me. It actually looks pretty decent in UD's pic.

Whatever store they put into the Bay Centre, I just hope they do a major redesign/renovation to the outside of the whole complex because it's quite unpleasant right now. It prevents the Bloor retail strip form extending east of Yonge. I hate just walking past there.

Isn't Uptown near Eglinton/Yonge? I'd say "northern downtown" is a better way to describe One Bloor.

He is referring to The Uptown Residences, visible in the photo - named after the since demolished Uptown Theatre (which was built and named back when Yonge and Bloor WAS "Uptown")

It goes Downtown, then Uptown, then Midtown, in this town. Don't let anyone tell you differently. The deal is that Uptown is a state of mind, and Yorkville is definitely Uptown, not "northern downtown". Ick.

It goes Downtown, then Uptown, then Midtown, in this town. Don't let anyone tell you differently. The deal is that Uptown is a state of mind, and Yorkville is definitely Uptown, not "northern downtown". Ick.

You really went to town on that one.

Yes I was referring to the Uptown Residences. I'm assuming it was Uptown Toronto a few hundred years ago, but most folks I talk to now seem to use:

Downtown - Lake to Bloor
Midtown - Bloor to Lawrence
Uptown - Lawrence and above.

But I'm pretty sure there is no formal definition.

Yes I was referring to the Uptown Residences. I'm assuming it was Uptown Toronto a few hundred years ago, but most folks I talk now seem to use:

Downtown - Lake to Bloor
Midtown - Bloor to Lawrence
Uptown - Lawrence and above.

But I'm pretty sure there is no formal definition.

Yay, one of the few people that will actually validate my username. someUpTowner just doesn't work for me.

I was born in Toronto, just over 50 years ago and when I was growing up, nobody called Yonge & Eglinton, Midtown, or Yonge and Bloor, midtown. Everything south of Bloor was called DOWNTOWN and Yonge & Eglintom was called YONGE & EGLINTON. The Midtown, Uptown thing is just Toronto pretending it's NYC and it's pretentious. We need to develop our own terms and not use NYC terms to describe our city, so stop with the uptown, midtown and soho terms.

Downtown North York is not uptown Toronto, it's downtown North York.

Back