My 30-storey 1970's building has four elevators, 400fpm and no waiting unless someone is moving or one is out of order. The way it should be. This is another area where code needs to change.

Some walkabout shots from today:
IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

The main entrance/lobby is huge!
IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

A couple more.. This giant is already looming over the intersection.
IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,474
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,447
  • IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,512
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2,439
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,469
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,487
In many cases, it's often reduced to two elevators because one is either out of order or being used for moving. It would be so great if condos had freight elevators.
Question for Bayer - how long would you say it takes to get from your place to the lobby on a typical morning?

It depends entirely on whether all elevators are working. Generally only a few minutes; but at times, I have waited five to ten minutes for the elevator. Yesterday, at some point, a single high-floor elevator was working. Three times in the past few years, we have had malfunctions because water had entered the elevator shaft and damaged the electronics, and the availability of spare parts was problematic. This is in ROCP, a recent building.

This is why I believe reliability is just as important, if not more, than actual speed.

Might be a bit hard to tell in pictures, but the core of this building is THICK. Like really thinck concrete walls, surrounded by heavy duty columns. She's gonna be a tall one! :cool:

1486567_10154016627830297_5118468115797892469_n.jpg

This shot clearly shows that the Holt's Centre site needs to get redeveloped...vertical density with a well-integrated retail podium beneath.

This shot clearly shows that the Holt's Centre site needs to get redeveloped...vertical density with a well-integrated retail podium beneath.

Yep, agreed. And these shots are great--especially the one right above. Too bad we won't have too many of this angle once this rises past the height of surrounding buildings.

Once 1 Bloor and Aura are complete I would hope they'll be used as camera platforms for documenting future projects in the area (such as Holt Renfrew). Naturally, any new tenants to the building are free to share their views with us also. ;)

Now that the weather is improving, has GG given any indication about the speed of construction of the tower floors? Will we see this go up at one floor per week? That would be awesome.

I hope so too and I'm sure they are behind the schedule with harsh winter we had.
Hopefully by the end of April they'll add couple of floors.

I hope so too and I'm sure they are behind the schedule with harsh winter we had.
Hopefully by the end of April they'll add couple of floors.

Next floor (8th) is going to be very complicated as it is going to be 8' deep beams sitting on the truss panels (formwork fly panels), and 8"-9" slab between the beams which will have to be picked up separately with scaffolding (frames) on-top of the truss/fly panels. The 8th floor will also not be poured in one shot, but instead done in multiple pours allowing the concrete to cure before continuing, similar to Hullmark Centre 13th Floor North Tower.

We might only see this 8th floor completed this month, but come May (hopefully), once they have built the new fly forms (truss panels) for the tower, I would think they should be able to get between 3-5 day cycles on the floors (floor per week)

Today:

No curved glass just yet, but there is a smooth painted surface on that curved section now

rtXTk0Q.jpg

CLsMPJ4.jpg

PRa79a5.jpg

evNLMGy.jpg

Man, I'd love to be the lucky tenant to score this corner! Apple would have to be out of their tree (pardon the pun) to not fight for this spot. Any word on how many tenants can fit in the retail space or can one large one take the whole thing? Simons? I can only dream

Back