All kidding aside, and since no one is chiming in here with any info, I would like to offer a guess. Since directly on top of these 'slots' is the deck/garden for the condo residents, they probably don't want any exhaust vents from the retail level below mingling with their potted palms. These slots may be the place they'll run all the vents to so the exhaust is high enough off the street and won't disturb any of the residents. ?????

Although I must admit that at certain times I could smell the hamburgers and french fries cooking across the street when Harvey's was there, and I live on the 22nd floor. I don't think they'll be many fast food outlets in this concourse though.

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

It’s really exciting that it’ll be so tall in time for the parade this weekend. Last year it was just reaching grade.

Last edited:
Can't figure out what colour the windows are (even in person) sometimes they look silver, almost mirror silver, sometimes purple, sometimes greenish. It's weird.

Also, how do they line up where the interior walls go and where the outside edges are? I assume it has to be precise within a cm or so but I never see anyone out there with a tape measure carefully measuring things. Just rebar, plumbing and then pour.

No more looking down from above photos from me. The building is now level with the 14th floor of our office and has forever changed our view west (there is none now where we use to have a nice sunny view down Bloor west.)

Last edited:
Can't figure out what colour the windows are (even in person) sometimes they look silver, almost mirror silver, sometimes purple, sometimes greenish. It's weird.

I think it is the low e coating on it - it's almost iridescent. The glass itself looks like it has a gray-green tint.

AoD

Also, how do they line up where the interior walls go and where the outside edges are? I assume it has to be precise within a cm or so but I never see anyone out there with a tape measure carefully measuring things. Just rebar, plumbing and then pour.

No more looking down from above photos from me. The building is now level with the 14th floor of our office and has forever changed our view west (there is none now where we use to have a nice sunny view down Bloor west.)

Layout is typically done with a total station from my understanding, look for a device on a tripod with someone looking into it.

minimum error is only a few millimetres as well, with constant tracking as the building goes up. 3 millimetres a floor can quickly add up by the time you reach the 75th floor.

Yeah, I found that too. First time I saw it it looked like a very metallic silver. Then on a more cloudy day it looked green. It'll be interesting to see how the effect changes once more is installed.

I guess if they are using the first floor to park cement trucks they won't be opening the retail level until they are mostly done...

There's a huge piece of convex curved glass sitting on one of the balconies on the sixth floor waiting to be installed. I unfortunately didn't have my computer at home so I couldn't upload it and post it. But hopefully, it will be installed today. Too bad I cannot be at home to watch the installation.

When they pour the interior walls they pour the concrete to the underside of the next slab, they leave the rebar hanging about a foot or more above the next finished floor so the wall is already located after they pour the floor/slab. As for the slab edges and everything else, I believe they mark where the gridlines from the drawings are and use offsets from gridlines and walls using "Slab Edge" drawings and mark the plywood with chalk lines and spray paint.
one bloor.jpg

Attachments

• one bloor.jpg
    one bloor.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 786
A few shots from this afternoon.

14505815602_fca72b0107_b.jpg

14320508847_ff7c8028bb_b.jpg

14503557781_0cd06679b6_b.jpg

14505809392_d8364fdef4_b.jpg

14320502267_59b97d82c1_b.jpg

Taking a closer look though, wondering what's happening here. Underneath the transfer beams, looks like rebar showing through.
14320293070_d08ef69fbb_b.jpg

14527053583_4c60b82b1e_b.jpg

14505804042_40ed814114_b.jpg

and looks like they're painting the balcony slab edges
14320291750_23636589a2_b.jpg

14505817022_ba0cd45d9e_b.jpg

Back