I'm curious what method they use to pour the concrete so that it the floorslabs' round corners are located perfectly to give that curve.

wooden formwork, like the rest of the building. Curved formwork, but still formwork.

They make a curved plywood bulkhead by "kerfing" the plywood and attaching it to a prefabricated steel form with metal screws. This is used for each floor and they just shift this closer and further to the corners of the building based on the slab edge drawing. Build once and reuse :)
ONE BLOOR CURVE.jpg

This image is of one of the balcony slabs prior to rebar placement at One Bloor, the guy in the upper left corner is actually measuring the distance from the corner of the building to the start of the curve to ensure proper placement of the 90 degree bend.

Attachments

• ONE BLOOR CURVE.jpg
    ONE BLOOR CURVE.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,676
Taken just now.

DSC02045.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

DSC02047.jpg

DSC02048.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02045.jpg
    DSC02045.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,508
  • DSC02046.jpg
    DSC02046.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,485
  • DSC02047.jpg
    DSC02047.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,498
  • DSC02048.jpg
    DSC02048.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,500
You can see how large the planting beds are going to be on the podium. You also get a nice glimpse of the outdoor pool.

This thing is already gorgeous. The podium = a class act.

I've always known HP to do high-calibre work but this is exceeding my expectations greatly, and I can't imagine something better suited for the Mink Mile.

When all is said and done, this building could arguable be the world's largest glass sculpture. This is just awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this tower, but I wonder if it will look out of place. There aren't very many large towers planned for this area that are real solid proposals.

I imagine it will only make other buildings surrounding it look pedestrian and uninspired. I'm good with that. It also ups the ante for other proposals which, as yet, exist only as bytes, renders and speculative chatter.

Yeah, it'll outshine the others. Let's be frank, there's nothing impressive about what's on the east and west north corners--never mind the atrocity that is Radisson (it's a Radisson, right?).

But it'll also up the ante, as Lenser said. And I personally think 80 Bloor will be a solid addition....

We don't really know what's happening with 80 Bloor. They need to make a lot of changes to get it through planning. I'm not sure it's a real proposal yet.

No they dont, one thing for sure it will be shorter, hehe
.... as much as i like One Bloor East, id hate to imagine that in 20 years it will be the tallest thing standing in that Bloor/Yonge area

I wonder how much shorter.

I'd like to see a wide variety of heights in this area. But I agree that it would be cool to have something taller than One Bloor. Perhaps One Bloor West?

Back