I think One Bloor's details will be less subtle and potentially less sophisticated than Aqua's, but One Bloor is supposed to be a landmark that's distinctive from a distance. Aqua looks like glass box from a distance.

Won't the top of One Bloor essentially be the same as what is depicted in the renderings, only with a flat roof?

Aqua's podium has nothing on One Bloor. One Bloor is on another level.

View attachment 33787

I'd viewed both of these buildings as equals, but One Bloor's podium is many notches above Aqua. If the quality of the curtain wall continues up the tower portion of One Bloor, the tower will be many notches above Aqua's tower as well.

Aqua is the more unique and complex building, no doubt about it. However, based on what I've seen, One Bloor is a much more thought out and well executed building. It seems to be more refined. What I've noticed in those past few photos is that this building meets the street exceptionally well. it's perfect in both the size/height of the podium and the size of the towers footprint. It kinda looks like it just sprouts out of the ground from Yonge/Bloor.
Looking forward to the future unobstructed view from the Holt Renfrew sidewalk in particular. Especially during sunset as the waves on the facade should catch the sunlight in interesting ways.

Last edited:
Thing is, there's no such thing as "more unique." Either a thing is unique or it's not. In this case, I'd argue both buildings have thier own distinct character.

And as much as I dig One Bloor, I rather like the podium on Aqua. It's got a great 50s verve to it. Kinda reminds me of a big-@ssed 50s car's tailfin.

It looks like a cross section of mushroom gills. Very organic and cool but I am not a huge fan of that low-rise podium. One Bloor seems like a much more urban podium in my opinion, but it feels wrong to compare these buildings. All they really have in common is a similar height and balconies being the main defining feature.

Much of the difference between Aqua and One Bloor East will arise from the materials.

Aqua has more exposed concrete / hard surface, while One Bloor East will be more reflective.

I think the frosted / fritted balcony glass will bring some necessary "weight" to the One Bloor East podium (and tower)
and it'll look even better than it does now (without the look of solid surface, the reflectiveness can cause the shape of the building to be scattered and lost).

Anyone know a source of good shots of Aqua's podium?

I'd agree that head to head Aqua is a better tower. But I like the podium on One Bloor better for how it relates to the tower.

Only shots I could find of Aqua's podium showed a very linear or square podium.

All that being said it's like trying to compare supermodels. Both are gorgeous.
Its called "Google" Type in Aqua podium, and, presto"!

Aqua is pretty exciting, but I feel like it only has good angles from lower points of view. If you look at it straight on it looses the shape the balconies create from a lower POV. Its hard to say yet how the tower on 1 Bloor will look. The podium is great, I think it will come down to the balconies and how well they keep the flow of the building, and maintain the level of material integrity they have already established for themselves.
I think the railings on aqua look cheap and dangerous and as if they will tear right off the second someone's drunk hefty aunt leans too hard on them.
So to sum up my opinion... aqua has a very strong visual impact from certain angles, but 1 Bloor looks so much more expensive.
both are swell.

Taken just now.

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_4786.jpg
    IMG_4786.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,015
Nice pics.

With the rate they're going at I'll probably be able to see the construction from my place in East York in a week or two.

By my count, they are on 26. If that is correct than we are just over one third of the way to the top, and already looking pretty huge.

Back