I'm in Chicago this week and have had lots of opportunity to view Aqua (which I have heard many people compare 1be to) from a number of view points and though there are definitely some similarities, I have to say 1bloor is a lot more interesting. Aqua like jade really only looks interesting from the immediate street level surrounding it. But from a distance it is a boring mess. Atleast 1 bloor is elegant, sleek and refined. Box or not. Boxes are fine when done well. Sadly they usually are mediocre these days. Thankfully I do not think 1bloor east is this.

October 26, 2015
0.png

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    2 MB · Views: 1,845
I can't help but wonder if projects like Uptown had been built post-One Bloor, would have been built or proposed much taller. In the context of what's next-door, and what is to come, these buildings look puny and in comparison.

Thank goodness Crystal Blah is not taller.

I could see why one might call One Bloor 'boring' at the moment from afar, as the contrasting balcony cladding has yet to make its way up the building and produce its signature look. I will be honest in saying that even when One Bloor is complete, Aura will still have the better skyline presence - but it doesn't mean it's the better building (it's a long shot!).

Personally I think One Bloor is great, in fact, it's amazing in contrast to the sea of high rises to go up in Toronto over the past decade. Everything I've seen thus far screams the type of big-city building I want to see.

image.jpg
image.jpg
From just now. You can now see some of the granite pavers being laid on the south end of the block.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 1,045
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,033
I have a feeling the balcony glass will alter the image many have of this building dramatically. Those who still don't like it for the most part will change their tune. I think it will be a real stunner, super modern and clean looking.

I have a feeling the balcony glass will alter the image many have of this building dramatically. Those who still don't like it for the most part will change their tune. I think it will be a real stunner, super modern and clean looking.
As someone in that camp, I sure hope so.

What I'd love to see next are buildings that can suppress the horizontal banding caused by balconies. Points for 1BE for drawing pleasant vertical lines to distract from the repetitive balconies.

FIVE, another lovely building, also made every attempt to suppress the balconies.

Back