So I'm wondering as to why First Capital hasn't been able to lease out the eastmost commercial property. It's 85,000 square feet but they're not likely to lease out another department store or grocery store with both Nordstrom Rack and McEwan there, so what's gonna take up a big two-storey space? It seems a lot bigger than most of what's around Yorkville/Yonge (save Holt Renfrew/The Bay), isn't likely to attract our bookstore monopoly (Indigo) so what's gonna take the place?

I've been surprised by the fact that it's been vacant for so long. Is it time they start considering parcelling it off?
85,000 square feet is the total commercial space there, of which Nordstrom has around 40,000 square feet and McEwan's has about 18,000. Chick Fil-A will b taking about 5,000. What remains are three tiny spots on the ground floor interior hallway of a few hundred square feet each, and then a couple of 5,500 square feet-ish spaces off the Bloor sidewalk, each of which have that amount of space available above them on the second floor as well, so either one 22,000 square foot store, or two 11,000 square footers, or one that doubles up on the second level with a smaller one on the ground floor.

85,000 square feet is the total commercial space there, of which Nordstrom has around 40,000 square feet and McEwan's has about 18,000. Chick Fil-A will b taking about 5,000. What remains are three tiny spots on the ground floor interior hallway of a few hundred square feet each, and then a couple of 5,500 square feet-ish spaces off the Bloor sidewalk, each of which have that amount of space available above them on the second floor as well, so either one 22,000 square foot store, or two 11,000 square footers, or one that doubles up on the second level with a smaller one on the ground floor.
Fair point. I was just going based on the FC website, as they only give one SF for the property. That said, is there any reason it's still unleased? It's been sitting at base building for well over a year, and for a relatively high profile property, that (to me) seems really long.

My best guesses for those spaces not being leased yet are:

1) they are haunted
2) rival Feng Shui consultants each declared that the other suite was better, leaving potential lessee with quandary
3) First Capital figure end of the world is coming, not writing any more leases
4) nobody has come to terms on those spaces

This is not cheap retail space. Don't be surprised that it takes a long time to lease.
I spent a number of years doing graphic design for Cushman & Wakefield. I don’t remember any properties taking as long as it seems to be at this corner (see also 33 Bloor E). In my experience, the prime locations went quickly, even other pricey places in Yorkville. So something has either changed since my time with them, or this corner is more hype than the rents can sustain.

My best guesses for those spaces not being leased yet are:

1) they are haunted
2) rival Feng Shui consultants each declared that the other suite was better, leaving potential lessee with quandary
3) First Capital figure end of the world is coming, not writing any more leases
4) nobody has come to terms on those spaces

5) rumoured to be for a store owned by a certain iconic Japanese video game company, given the success of its Manhattan store

My eastern sunset this evening.
C374D88A-E32B-4CA1-8F36-EA3E45F313EC.jpeg
0B7DD713-CBFC-4FA0-87F5-36D998CB343B.jpeg

Ice - I mean 12 and 14 York are complete however the PATH component currently being built I believe is technically part of the project - even though that's under CF.

Back