No I hear it's 2 hi rise towers

I second you, molson cdn, on this. You couldn't have gotten a better developer than Tridel for this project. You can be sure with their experience this will become so much a part of the Old Mill community. Looking forward to seeing the final architecture.

Watch for a name change for this project! very cool and more in line with the community they're building in.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I hear it's 2 hi rise towers

Welcome Condogeek
According to the staff report submitted as a request for direction by city staffto Etobicoke York Community Council dated June3, 2010 the height of the buidlings have been reduced to 2490 Bloor: 12 storeys + Mezzine and 2500 Bloor: 10 storeys. Not sure that 39.65 m and 32.5 m counts as "hi rise". I am happier with the reduction in height from the original 16 and 18 storeys.

As a note: I don't think that there will be any objections on the basis of height. (Residents in the Old Mill area have objections to a realignment of the Riverview Gardens and Old Mill Rd., but support for this stance seems divided.) E-Y CC deferred dealing with the directions report until the Aug. 17th meeting when Tridel is apparently hopeful for a final decision. The Councillor has called a community meeting for July 14th @ 6.30 pm - incrediably to me the venue is Tridel's sales office on Front St!!!!

-AmJ

Zoning Amendment Application - Etobicoke York Community Council meeting

E-mail from local Councillor

Re: 2464, 2474, 2490 and 2500 Bloor Street West (1 and 2 Old Mill Drive) - Zoning Amendment Application - Final Report

I am writing to advise you that this agenda item, originally scheduled for 10 am at the August 17th Etobicoke York Community Council meeting, has been rescheduled and will be heard at 7 pm on August 17th, 2010.

The public meeting regarding 2464, 2474, 2490 and 2500 Bloor Street will be held at 7 pm.

Thank you,

Councillor Bill Saundercook
Ward 13, High Park

Funky sales office coming up. Hopefully we'll know more about the look of the building when this opens - I hear mid September.

I agree. Tridel has to bring Old Mill into 2010.

Get with the times Billy. Approve this project!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tridel's first proposal for this site was for a 16-storey building at 2490 Bloor West between Riverview Gardens and Old Mill Drive, and a 13-storey building at 2500 Bloor west of Old Mill Drive.

Following community meetings and a charette the revised proposal brought to EYCC tonight was for 13- and 10-storey buildings respectively.

Many from the community spoke, including professional planners retained by community groups, essentially concurring that the proposed buildings were still too high.

Some less straight-forward concerns were expressed regarding the realignment of both Riverview Gdns and Old Mill Dr. to suit the current proposal.

At the end of the consultation, Bill Saundercook introduced a motion that the report be passed on to City Council next week with the heights reduced to 10- and 8- storeys respectively. EYCC passed that.

This project brought up some very interesting issues last night that the EYCC, and the one which interested me most was about what "height" means. I am sure that these are old chestnuts to urban planners, but to an amateur observer like me, they are interesting...

1. From the city planners point of view, it is clear that the height guidance for avenues is measured from the avenue, and only the avenue - in this case Bloor. However, the residents who are closest to the site live on the other (N) side of the site from Bloor, down a steep gradient. When they count storeys, the ground floor on the 2500 and 2490 sites are actually 2 storeys above them to start with, so their perception of 10 and 13 floors is that much higher. That appears to be a non-issue for city planners who only count from the avenue. It is interesting as there is definitely a psychological aspect to urban planning, in addition to practical, aesthetic, monetary etc. etc. aspect. The city planner seemed very caught up with shadow studies, which are important, but had no thought for how oppressive built-form can be when it towers over an observer, even when the sun is perpendicular to the sight line.

2. The issue came up about high relative to what - do we judge "much higher than everything else" relative to what is currently in place, or the buildings that will be built in the future? Currently, most buildings in the area are 3 storeys with a couple of buildings up to 8 or maybe 10. (The exception is the tower near Old Mill subway station, which is not immediately adjacent to low-rise residential buildings.) The city planners, and developers, argument is that what counts is what will be there in 20 years - which of course no-one knows for sure as crystal balls are in short supply!
The kicker for me though was the City Planner chap says - 13 storeys won't seem high in 20 years as this avenue segment intensifies and the surrounding buildings increase in height too. He then went on to argue that these sites should be developed at the proposed height (i.e. over official plan guidelines) as there are only 4 other sites in the area that reasonably could be expected to be developed in the foreseeable future. I don't understand how his vision of the area in 20 years simultaneously has widespread increases in height to close up the gap between 3 and 13 storeys, while at the same time there are only 4 sites in addition to these two that will get developed at all. This logic seems not to be internally consistent...

This is my first time following a big project through planning in Toronto, so last night was fascinating to observe. (I know that a number of posters applauded Tridel for their community consultation process prior to bringing the proposal up. However, there is a student thesis to be done in a few years looking at how that consultation agenda was controlled by Tridel and how they used it in a very sophisticated way to try to influence EYCC, and presumably the stages that are still to come. Really fascinating to watch in an impeding car-crash sort of way....)

Newest rendering from the northwest showing courtyard entrance.

old-mill-rendering-september-12-2010-1200.jpg

thanks TWM ...

I can't say I'm completely loving the all-precast building ... it would have been nice if more brick was incorpated into the architecture to help tie in with the Kingsway/Old Mill neighbourhood ~ nonetheless the geometry and terracing design is nice =D

I kinda like it. We'll see how it turns out though! Wasn't this originally going to be taller? Because it does look a little bulky. I guess that's the tradeoff when you want a shorter building. It'll definitely have "presence" though.

Hmmmm...my first instinct is hate, but I'll hold my fire until I see a render of the Bloor side...

The render above appears to show a 14-storey building, but the largest of the two buildings approved here is 12 storeys high, while the smaller one (not on sale yet) is 10 storeys. City council deleted the amendment passed at Etobicoke York Community Council to drop the height of the buildings by two storeys each.

Tridel One Old amenity renderings

From our online image gallery but at 1200px wide:

Lobby with Concierge
vr-lobby-w-logos-1200.jpg

Elevator Lobby
vr-elevator-w-logos-1200.jpg

Swimming Pool
vr-swimming10-w-logos-1200.jpg

Fitness Centre
vr-fitness-w-logos-1200.jpg

Private Dining Room

vr-party01-w-logos-1200.jpg