do you know what the 2nd release would be? will it consist of condo units and townhomes? or just one or the other?

it is my understanding that all townhouses have been released and sold .... the 2nd release only relates to Thunderbird (phase 2 tower)

Last night Edilcan held the ground breaking ceremony for One Valhalla and Urban Toronto was there.

People looking at the model before the ceremony begins.

OneValhallaThudGB-Feb16,11(2).JPG

The model suite.

OneValhallaThudGB-Feb16,11(5).JPG

Eve Lewis, the sales director, talking to the crowd which consisted of buyers along with those involved in the project. Next to her are GP DiRocco, vice-president of Edilcan, local City Councillor and trained architect Peter Milczyn and Edilcan President Auri DiRocco.

OneValhallaThudGB-Feb16,11(9).JPG

Funniest moment of the night goes to councillor Milczn who mentioned how quiet the neighbourhood is. Really? Those lights in the windows behind him are from the cars speeding by on highway 427.

OneValhallaThudGB-Feb16,11(11).JPG

After the speeches we went outside to view a fun performance by Circus Orange.

OneValhallaThudGB-Feb16,11(21).JPG

And finally the main event, the official ground breaking.

OneValhallaThudGB-Feb16,11(24).JPG

OneValhallaThudGB-Feb16,11(25).JPG

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I see they have an element of the Valhalla Inn left in the amenities area.

2020085.bin

Thunderbird.jpg

shutter services

a nice groundbreaking event.
yes, they will include some elements from valhalla inn in the common amenities area.
a nice touch to the interior.

hope the wall colour is not all painted in white. hope its colour could reflect the interior of valhalla inn even though haven't been inside before.

any thoughts about their shutter bus services?
now the shutter will cover airport as well as already mentioned locations (subway, shopping malls and supermarket)

Last edited:
I suspect the shuttle bus service is nothing more than a marketing tool ... the builder will likely initate the shuttle service for the condo when it first registers, then the 2nd year around the condo board itself will vote to shut it down due to lack of use vs funding .... thats what happened with all the condos built in Scarborough Town area (Consilium, Hillborough Court, May Tower, Ellipse)

that makes sense not to have a shutter bus services. this would be a growing expenses over the time.

people kept saying the interior and certain lounges are really nice. can't make any comments since i never been there.

that would be nice if they could show some pictures in the amenities area or hallway so people would know better the history of this site.

Nice :):)

Valhalla's famous features to be preserved after demolition
Tower coming down to make way for One Valhalla condo and townhomes

Although demolition of the iconic Valhalla Inn's tower is set to commence next week, those sentimental for the motor inn's uniquely kitschy 60s-era decor can breathe a sigh of relief - its trademark oast house roofs and famous Viking ship bar will live on.
GP Di Rocco, vice-president of Edilcan Development Corporation, told The Guardian this week that plans are in the works to incorporate some of the original Inn's artifacts into the three new glass-clad condominium towers and 68 three-storey townhomes planned for the site.

More.....http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...ous-features-to-be-preserved-after-demolition

any thoughts about their shutter bus services?

Why do they need a shuttle bus to the subway? The East Mall bus is a 2 minute walk away and it takes less than 10 minutes to get to Kipling Station. Malls and other stuff are served by the same bus.

automation gallery, thanks for bringing us the article. it's nice they will start to demolish the valhalla inn tower next week.
still can't imagine the interior look of the valhalla inn as the tower is not too attractive. but this inn's architect won the Ontario Association of Architects
Design Excellence Award in 1966. that should be some reasons behind that. that's also why edilican tries to keep the artifacts in the common amenity spaces.

i agree with solaris. shutter bus services is more marketing thing. of course, we all don't know what will happen to this "free" shutter service after the first year.

Time for a little Mid-Century-Scandi-Nostalgic-Modern heritage preservation. Here's the story about preserving some of the Valhalla Inn history of the site, cleaned up from Edilcan's press release:

If you notice a Viking Ship traveling down an Etobicoke street, it’s not a Nordic invasion; it’s part of the extensive preservation plan going on at One Valhalla Towns & Condos. Edilcan Development Corporation’s highly successful condominium community in Etobicoke is situated on the site of the former Valhalla Inn, which opened in 1963. Sales have been robust, with 323 suites sold in just six months, and demolition of the Inn has begun to make way for construction. To pay tribute to the well-loved landmark, Edilcan is going to great lengths to preserve and restore numerous elements of the Inn. These items will be integrated into the first of the three new Page + Steele/ / IBI Architects-designed glass-clad towers that will rise from a one-acre landscaped podium and will surround a grand European-style courtyard.

Courtyard750.jpg

The George Robb-designed Valhalla Inn building complex is listed on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties, and in accordance with the guidelines, numerous artifacts are being salvaged, placed in weather-protected and heated storage, and reinstalled in the new community. Several of the furnishings and interior features such as light fixtures and the carved Viking ship bar were also designed by Robb, which is unusual. The scope of the conservation aspect of this project is huge and involves many stakeholders cooperating to achieve the City’s and Edilcan’s goals.

Valhalla3750.jpg

In fact, Edilcan is going above and beyond the City’s requirements to preserve the heritage elements, and has enlisted E.R.A. Architects to oversee the preservation work, and Terrasan Environmental Solutions to complete the removals and storage. “It’s all worth the effort,” says Edilcan Vice President G.P. Di Rocco. “The Valhalla Inn was an area icon for a long time, and it’s only fitting that we acknowledge it in a special way by capturing all that it stood for and will continue to stand for.”

Valhalla1750.jpg

The artifacts will be located in the amenity spaces of the first phase of One Valhalla, such as the party room and landscaped rooftop, according to the interior design by Munge Leung. Among the items that are being retained and reused are the exterior wood main entry doors and brass pulls, the interior archway in wood, the Mermaid Lounge metal screen, the garden bronze sculpture, and the massive Nordic bar counter from the Nordic Dining Lounge – which in itself will be a tremendous task to move. Hanging custom light fixtures from the Nordic Dining Lounge will be reused in one of the common spaces, as will two deco-style wood screens and the Mermaid Lounge glass art panels with the mermaid motif.

Valhalla6750.jpg

“The fact that many of these items will be reused in the new residence’s party room is poetic,” says Andrew Pruss of E.R.A. Architects. “The Valhalla Inn was an Etobicoke landmark that was a prominent social site. Many parties and weddings were held over the years. Reusing these items within this context gives them ongoing life. The effort of the developers to salvage, restore and reuse these elements recognizes the heritage value of the site.”

ValhallaBronze750.jpg

In addition, the three Oasthouse roofs will be rebuilt as an outdoor structure on the podium of Phase 1 and will enhance the landscaping by Schollen and Company. Each artifact will feature a stainless steel plaque identifying its origin as part of the Valhalla Inn. Those items that cannot be salvaged, such as the gates, fences and unique ceilings, will be recreated in the same motif.

OneValhallaPodiumGarden.jpg

I've got one more image I want to run here as an aside: I know that every render, including the one above, pictures completed places with impossibly lush vegetation, and they'll have to hire the best landscaping company ever to get the results these renders promise over the years, but in the rendering below, somehow it seems another notch too impossibly perfect. I think the plan for paving One Valhalla's courtyard looks amazing, and that makes me want to believe that it could all turn out as perfect as this, but my skepticism says uh-uh. I want to believe though, I want to...

OneValhallaExtTowers.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, I work right across the street from this site. I should be able to post updates on a frequent basis. The building's fully intact at the moment, not much progress thus far.

Glad to hear it HHC - keep a camera at work!

Back