Indeed. What it needs is a good cleaning, not a paint job.

AoD
Cleaning and it unfortunately dries somewhat unevenly which leads to the odd dark patches near the bottom (especially throughout the wetter months).

What’s the current move in estimate and do both this court building and the one in St Lawrence Market North have to be finished to complete the move out of Old City Hall?

P1190930.JPG
P1190936.JPG

Great this is going to block the view of Nathan Philip Square from 488 University. Well at least there was one New Year celebration while it lasted.

Ugh? whats the new patient center at sick kids got to do with this development?
Just saying from the viewpoint of 488 University the courthouse will block the view of NPSq from the west so that sucks, but not all is lost for 488 because the new Sick Kids patients centre will block the ugly smokes stacks.

They're split-faced strips of marble embedded in concrete. If you have a chance to see the cladding up close by visiting the podium garden, then definitely do so. It's really unique. I wish we had more buildings with artistic choices of cladding like City Hall's abstract north facade.
To be fair, a building shouldn't have to rely on viewers being close up for it to look good. From a distance it does just look like dirty concrete. And considering that the experience most people have of city hall is from the concrete dominated Nathan Phillips Square, I'd be surprised if more than a tiny minority of people were even aware that the building facade has marble in it at all.

To be fair, a building shouldn't have to rely on viewers being close up for it to look good. From a distance it does just look like dirty concrete. And considering that the experience most people have of city hall is from the concrete dominated Nathan Phillips Square, I'd be surprised if more than a tiny minority of people were even aware that the building facade has marble in it at all.

I still think that the sculptural look of City Hall's towers would work even if the north facades were clad entirely in concrete.

Back