Faster and less disruptive to erect, lower cost, looks way better than dingy dark "public bathroom" subway stations, etc...

[video=youtube;qqH-cDmwf_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqH-cDmwf_g[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not very major or anything, but I noticed a mistake on the map found on page 25. If you look just west of Broadview station, you’ll notice that the Richmond Hill line takes a bit of a detour onto the abandoned Don Branch. It travels about halfway across the Half-Mile Bridge, then does an abrupt 90deg turn while dropping 15m to join back up with the actual Richmond Hill line. Mistake...or hidden clue? :p I’ll be sure to let them know if I see it on their display panel during one of the presentations.

Relief-Line-station-areas.jpg

From the presentation, it look like it's been decided that subway is the appropriate mode for the corridor. Prior to this, they were ambiguous about what was the appropriate mode.

Hmm. I didn’t notice that. I found it to be pretty ambiguous on all fronts, and found little mention of what vehicle might be used. Tho I mostly skimmed it.

Attachments

• Relief-Line-station-areas.jpg
    Relief-Line-station-areas.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 751
Interesting to see one of the potential stations locations is located in the middle of the existing wye on the Danforth line, into Greenwood Yard.

I'm having a hard time taking those locations seriously.

"Err... Just go ahead and drop some dots on the map. The audience won't know the difference."

Interesting to see one of the potential stations locations is located in the middle of the existing wye on the Danforth line, into Greenwood Yard.

I'm having a hard time taking those locations seriously.

there isn't. Greenwood the station today is actually a bit east of Greenwood the street. The "new" station on the map is directly on Greenwood.

I'm probably heading to the one on Thursday on Gerrard.

What they did in the Scarborough Subway meeting was put everyone in the old Scarborough City Council chamber, give a big presentation on the project, ask a couple of people in the crowd questions, then send everyone out into the lobby where there are large display boards and planners milling about to allow people to ask questions and give input.

So, from this map it's evident that they've decided there will be exactly two stations between Yonge and the Don River. Which is too bad, I normally put three on my fantasy map. Hopefully Glenn De Baeremaeker can sort that out.

Faster and less disruptive to erect, lower cost, looks way better than dingy dark "public bathroom" subway stations, etc...

[video=youtube;qqH-cDmwf_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqH-cDmwf_g[/video]

They also have less capacity than our subway trains, introduce another transit technology that we need to source parts and experienced mechanics for, can't swap vehicles between lines and the poor station aesthetics is mostly a Toronto thing.

So, from this map it's evident that they've decided there will be exactly two stations between Yonge and the Don River. Which is too bad, I normally put three on my fantasy map. Hopefully Glenn De Baeremaeker can sort that out.
Looks like they are targetting Sherbourne and Cherry/Sumach. And then Broadview and Carlaw. That would make the station spacing 800 m, 900 m, 800 m, and 800 m (ignoring the hypotenuses). That seems pretty reasonable to me. I'll happily walk 800 metres now ... and then the station would only be 400 metres away at worst.

Looks like they are targetting Sherbourne and Cherry/Sumach. And then Broadview and Carlaw. That would make the station spacing 800 m, 900 m, 800 m, and 800 m (ignoring the hypotenuses). That seems pretty reasonable to me. I'll happily walk 800 metres now ... and then the station would only be 400 metres away at worst.

If you had the Yonge platform extend eastward, it would come to almost Church. That would provide reasonable service to the St. Lawrence neighbourhood. Likewise, Sherbourne extending westward would do the same. It's more exit location that station location that's important in this instance. If they build each station with 3 entrances/exits (1 at each end, one in the middle), the coverage should be pretty good.

The way I normally configure it on my fantasy maps though is I have the St. Andrew platform extend west to between Simcoe and Peter, the Yonge platform from Victoria to around Bay, St. Lawrence station from Jarvis extending westward towards Sherbourne, and a West Donlands station extending west from Parliament.

Back