Sorry if this has been addressed already but is there a reason why the east section is prioritized over the west?

I'm with others that the whole thing should be done at the same time. Would likely save cost and inconvenience/construction mess... not to mention that the whole thing would then be available sooner which is sort of the point.

Happy to see the relief line's become a more legit' part of the transit conversation though.

Sorry if this has been addressed already but is there a reason why the east section is prioritized over the west?
The reason is, is what is driving the DRL, is the overcrowding on the Yonge line, and particularly at Bloor-Yonge station, where $2-3 billion on a relatively short subway from Danforth to Yonge would eliminate the need for a $1-billion renovation of Bloor-Yonge station.

When you look at minimizing people transferring at Bloor-Yonge, you end up with a line from University to Danforth, somewhere. Which is why it is phase 1. Personally I think they should extend it two stations further to at least Bathurst, to deal with some of the downtown surface congestion.

So, from this map it's evident that they've decided there will be exactly two stations between Yonge and the Don River. Which is too bad, I normally put three on my fantasy map. Hopefully Glenn De Baeremaeker can sort that out.

Wait, I don’t see that. How so? Although your post made me think about it, and there are three boxes. Perhaps there’s only to be three stations altogether? One intersecting Y/U-S, one within the purple square (either east, or west of the Don), and one on the Danforth.

Bah. How the heck does a project like the Scarborough Subway get so far in its planning process, but after a century all we’ve got for the Relief Line is a scatterplot of vaguely placed purple dots?

So, from this map it's evident that they've decided there will be exactly two stations between Yonge and the Don River. Which is too bad, I normally put three on my fantasy map. Hopefully Glenn De Baeremaeker can sort that out.

Line 2 has only 2 stations between Yonge and the Don, so this would be equal to that line. Either 2 or 3 stations would work well, IMO.

Line 2 has only 2 stations between Yonge and the Don, so this would be equal to that line. Either 2 or 3 stations would work well, IMO.

Good point. Like I said earlier, I think it depends more on entrance/exit locations than it does station location. They may increase the number of access locations in order to increase coverage, while still minimizing the number of stations to keep the line's average speed up. It would also reduce construction costs, as any stations within built up urban areas are bound to be quite pricey.

Wait, I don’t see that. How so? Although your post made me think about it, and there are three boxes. Perhaps there’s only to be three stations altogether? One intersecting Y/U-S, one within the purple square (either east, or west of the Don), and one on the Danforth.

You misunderstood me. It will intersect the University subway and Yonge subway (unless it goes to Union, which would be a mistake). But based on the spacing of the purple dots in the purple box, specifically the vertical line of purple dots on Sherbourne and the next vertical line of purple dots on Sumach/Cherry, it's clear what their chosen stop spacing is.

Although three stations would be an interesting phase I DRL. Three stations: a Bloor-Danforth intercept, aYonge intercept and a GO intercept in between. It would be fast(er) and cheap(er) to build. They could leave roughed in stations to be completed later. It would be very fast to get from end to end. Minimum impact from construction.

Looks like they are targetting Sherbourne and Cherry/Sumach. And then Broadview and Carlaw. That would make the station spacing 800 m, 900 m, 800 m, and 800 m (ignoring the hypotenuses). That seems pretty reasonable to me. I'll happily walk 800 metres now ... and then the station would only be 400 metres away at worst.

900m spacing isn't the end of the world, and is pretty reasonable. It's the same average spacing as the Eglinton LRT underground stops (850m). But for downtown I'd hope for more Bloor-Danforth spacing, considering the region is denser than along Bloor, or Eglinton. I was hoping for Jarvis/Parliament/River, for a connection to Richmond-Hill GO. East of the Don River what you've said sounds good. You hit Stouffville GO/Lakeshore GO/SmartTrack East and the Broadview streetcar, plus serve the redevelopable Gerard Square/Unilever sites. East of the Don is mostly stable neighbourhoods that would be painful to upzone so wider spacings are more appropriate there.

Last edited:

That's a bit of an anomaly, though. That's because Bloor-Danforth passes through the Rosedale ravine and the Don Valley at that point. Yonge to Broadview there are 800m between stops, which is the furthest apart on the original Bloor-Danforth line. For comparison, Broadview to Donlands is every 580m. Yonge to Spadina is every 480m. Yonge to Union is every 450m.

The DRL won't be passing through the same parkland/terrain that BD does at that longitude, so it makes sense that it would have a closer spacing. 3 stations would be every 670m, which is still wider spacing than sections of the Eglinton LRT and the majority of the Bloor-Danforth line.

Interesting to see one of the potential stations locations is located in the middle of the existing wye on the Danforth line, into Greenwood Yard.

I'm having a hard time taking those locations seriously.

It's too bad that the proposal doesn't specifically stipulate MINIMUM densities at or near stations (i.e. if something is torn down or a major renovation is proposed it must be converted to a minimum density of xxx if it is near a station).

That would significantly change where the public would want to put stations and would encourage growth at the station nodes. Can you imagine the NIMBY's dilemma....having to choose vs saying yes to a subway and then in 5 years saying no to an office building! (Queen and Broadview watch out!)

I'm not talking 50 story buildings but "avenue" type strategies near the subway...which means 10 stories (higher at intersections)...not the 2-4 which it is now

That's a bit of an anomaly, though. That's because Bloor-Danforth passes through the Rosedale ravine and the Don Valley at that point. Yonge to Broadview there are 800m between stops, which is the furthest apart on the original Bloor-Danforth line. For comparison, Broadview to Donlands is every 580m. Yonge to Spadina is every 480m. Yonge to Union is every 450m.

The DRL won't be passing through the same parkland/terrain that BD does at that longitude, so it makes sense that it would have a closer spacing. 3 stations would be every 670m, which is still wider spacing than sections of the Eglinton LRT and the majority of the Bloor-Danforth line.
Fair enough and I don't disagree. A lot of people want to keep the stations as far apart as possible, but I'm not one of them.

Although everything is still preliminary, I’m beginning to think it will only be one station between Y/U-S and B/D. There’s only one purple square for the “area of focusâ€, and it does say “potential station area†(singular). This would be deeply upsetting if true. If such is the case, I think the best location for a station would be Queen/River. It's roughly equidistant between Pape and St Andrew, and there's a lot of activity around there. Perhaps a poll on this site is in order?

Relief-Line-station-areas_2.jpg

And GlobalToronto had a good segment about whether the DRL has been sent to the backburner. Video: http://globalnews.ca/video/1862087/smarttrack-could-delay-plans-for-downtown-relief-line

Article: http://globalnews.ca/news/1861698/smarttrack-could-delay-plans-for-downtown-relief-line/

Attachments

• Relief-Line-station-areas_2.jpg
    Relief-Line-station-areas_2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 617
I would be pissed if they decide to build a one-stop DRL from Danforth to Yonge. Ridiculous.

Even a DRL with 5 stops from Danforth to Yonge would be attractive, time-wise, IMO.

I would be pissed if they decide to build a one-stop DRL from Danforth to Yonge. Ridiculous.

Even a DRL with 5 stops from Danforth to Yonge would be attractive, time-wise, IMO.

Yup - just think that no one stopped riding the Yonge or Bloor line to downtown despite the fact that there are umpteen stations in the core.

AoD

I don't think anyone has proposed such a thing, nor do I think there's anyone here to be stupid enough to propose such a thing.

I can see the province saying that's what they'd fund for regional transit, so Toronto should pay for any intermediate stations.

Although everything is still preliminary, I’m beginning to think it will only be one station between Y/U-S and B/D. There’s only one purple square for the “area of focus”, and it does say “potential station area” (singular). This would be deeply upsetting if true. If such is the case, I think the best location for a station would be Queen/River. It's roughly equidistant between Pape and St Andrew, and there's a lot of activity around there. Perhaps a poll on this site is in order?

I think you're reading too much into the language.

Bah. How the heck does a project like the Scarborough Subway get so far in its planning process, but after a century all we’ve got for the Relief Line is a scatterplot of vaguely placed purple dots?

It's the Toronto way of developing major projects - even our plans take years and countless dollars to plan out.

Back