Either short or long one needs to be built. It took me 15 minutes this morning to get a southbound train at Bloor. And an incredibly packed train at that. First picture shows what the platform looks like as a packed train leaves the station.

IMG_7008.JPG
IMG_7009.JPG
IMG_7010.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7008.JPG
    IMG_7008.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_7009.JPG
    IMG_7009.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_7010.JPG
    IMG_7010.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 1,000
Either way though any relief line is at least 10 years away from opening right?

I wonder if it's faster or more comfortable to go to St George and loop around or walk from the University line?

I wonder if it would help if employers were more flexible with work hours? Do most employers ask employees to be at work at 9am? (tech is generally more flexible) The Yonge line isn't that bad after 9 it seems.

Were there any service disruptions this morning?
Yes, there were warnings of delays up to 30 minutes being issued from about 6:30 AM to 8:51 AM between Finch and Eglinton. Presumably this would mean a reduced number of trains further south, and fuller trains.

The problem is, they are operating at capacity. So if something goes wrong, there's no extra capacity to deal with it.

Either way though any relief line is at least 10 years away from opening right?

Sure but if we don't start soon it'll only get worse. And all those condos going up along the entire length of Yonge are going to add to the problem.

Sure but if we don't start soon it'll only get worse. And all those condos going up along the entire length of Yonge are going to add to the problem.

I agree we should start. Just saying it won't affect our lives & commutes anytime soon, unfortunately.

Hopefully this relief study gives a recommended route soon? By early next year it'll be two years of studying, yet I guess we're not sure whether those years of work will actually start to get implemented since there is no funding. Hopefully it does.

Either short or long one needs to be built. It took me 15 minutes this morning to get a southbound train at Bloor. And an incredibly packed train at that. First picture shows what the platform looks like as a packed train leaves the station.

I am so glad I bike everywhere these days...

It is shocking how much density is being added around Eglinton as well and this is still pre-Crosstown days.

It is shocking how much density is being added around Eglinton as well and this is still pre-Crosstown days.
Yep. One problem with focussing on the Relief Line is that there is a huge amount of development going on along Yonge, where the clearest transit option for downtown in the Yonge line. We desperately need the DRL, but we also need to work out how all the people in those Yonge condos (both north and south of Bloor) are going to get to and from downtown.

Last edited:
Yep. One problem with focussing on the Relief Line is that there is a huge amount of development going on <i>along</i> Yonge, where the clearest transit option for downtown in the Yonge line. We desperately need the DRL, but we also need to work out how all the people in those Yonge condos (both north and south of Bloor) are going to get to and from downtown.

This is another reason I advocate for DRL LONG. The first thing we want is relief on Yonge as much as we can. The last thing we want is Eglinton-Yonge to become the next Bloor-Yonge upon the Crosstown's opening.

This is another reason I advocate for DRL LONG. The first thing we want is relief on Yonge as much as we can. The last thing we want is Eglinton-Yonge to become the next Bloor-Yonge upon the Crosstown's opening.

With Eglinton Line moving only a quarter of the riders at peak hour approaching Yonge Street as the Bloor-Danforth Line, I doubt we'll see passenger loads anywhere close to Bloor-Yonge, as long as the transfer is properly designed.

I don't know if Eglinton Station is built to handle anywhere near the passenger flow of B-Y. In any case, it's really not just the Crosstown, but all the intensification locally to the station that will also cause potential congestion at the station. There are over 25 major condo projects going up in this vicinity. That's a lot of intensification.

More like over 40 planned or under construction if my estimate is correct.

The crosstown might handle a quarter of the ridership of line 2, but Eglinton Station's platform width can only handle a quarter of Bloor-yonge.

The crosstown might handle a quarter of the ridership of line 2, but Eglinton Station's platform width can only handle a quarter of Bloor-yonge.

I don't know how one can translate platform width alone into a measure of capacity, to the extent of coming up with a 1/4 Yonge-Bloor figure. If anything the proposed Yonge-Eglinton interchange will be have a higher capacity given multiple mezzanines and a far superior cross vs. T profile.

AoD

Back