I don't know how one can translate platform width alone into a measure of capacity, to the extent of coming up with a 1/4 Yonge-Bloor figure. If anything the proposed Yonge-Eglinton interchange will be have a higher capacity given multiple mezzanines and a far superior cross vs. T profile.
Though only a single and relatively narrow centre platform on the Yonge line. That's going to be very crowded after 2-3 trains pass that people can't squeeze on. I doubt you'll have as many people getting off southbound at Eglinton in AM peak as you do at Bloor to make space.

With the shifting of the Line 1 platform at Eglinton Station northward, I think they will be including additional stairwells and accesses.

With the shifting of the Line 1 platform at Eglinton Station northward, I think they will be including additional stairwells and accesses.
They will and that will help with the spread of the passengers along the platform.

But it is still a single, very narrow central platform that is about to get a lot busier with the opening of the Crosstown and the drastic increase in walk-in traffic from all the condos being built nearby.

Either short or long one needs to be built. It took me 15 minutes this morning to get a southbound train at Bloor. And an incredibly packed train at that. First picture shows what the platform looks like as a packed train leaves the station.

View attachment 56783 View attachment 56784 View attachment 56785
Toronto: the next Tokyo

The city could hire some high school students to volunteer to push commuters into subway trains during the summer. After all, high school students need volunteer hours to graduate.

Alternatively, they can be paid as well, which would be a good way to reduce youth unemployment.

Hopefully this relief study gives a recommended route soon? By early next year it'll be two years of studying, yet I guess we're not sure whether those years of work will actually start to get implemented since there is no funding. Hopefully it does.
I was told September at a community meeting earlier this year, so don't hold your breath.

I was told September at a community meeting earlier this year, so don't hold your breath.

I think the delay surrounding the new modelling system may have pushed back the date on a recommended corridor. New numbers are coming out in January (?) rather than September or October, as they were supposed to.

I think the delay surrounding the new modelling system may have pushed back the date on a recommended corridor. New numbers are coming out in January (?) rather than September or October, as they were supposed to.
New modelling system? I think it's a new model, not new software.

Could that mean that conclusions in the station evaluation could change? I know it would only be one criteria, but it should be a heavily weighted criteria.

Toronto: the next Tokyo

The city could hire some high school students to volunteer to push commuters into subway trains during the summer. After all, high school students need volunteer hours to graduate.

Alternatively, they can be paid as well, which would be a good way to reduce youth unemployment.

Not high schoolers! Unpaid TTC interns. At least until some government somewhere stops them.

Is anyone here seriously interested in setting up a citizen's advocacy group for the Relief Line?

It's my understanding that the citizens Hamilton Light Rail initiative successfully lobbied for the Hamilton LRT last year. I hope that something similar can be set up for the Relief Line.

I know that this idea has been discussed many times on UT, but now is a prime time to get something started, now that we have a new PM coming into office. And now that the SmartTrack plan is progressing, we must ensure that City Hall doesn't forget about the Relief Line.

I don't have anything too specific in mind at this point - that will all be sorted out once we have a few members.

Any takers?

Is anyone here seriously interested in setting up a citizen's advocacy group for the Relief Line?

It's my understanding that the citizens Hamilton Light Rail initiative successfully lobbied for the Hamilton LRT last year. I hope that something similar can be set up for the Relief Line.

I know that this idea has been discussed many times on UT, but now is a prime time to get something started, now that we have a new PM coming into office. And now that the SmartTrack plan is progressing, we must ensure that City Hall doesn't forget about the Relief Line.

I don't have anything too specific in mind at this point - that will all be sorted out once we have a few members.

Any takers?

I'm seriously contemplating it, and partnering with #CodeRedTO and the insight they can provide.

Still trying to come up with a brand that is half decent. 'Line 8 Alliance' had been sticking in my head, but not sure the rationale behind "Line 8" is feasible; people would just get stuck on the name and distract from the message. Open to suggestions here.

Also, mdrejhon has been a monumental force on the Hamilton LRT front, hats off to him.

Still trying to come up with a brand that is half decent. 'Line 8 Alliance' had been sticking in my head, but not sure the rationale behind "Line 8" is feasible; people would just get stuck on the name and distract from the message. Open to suggestions here.

Call it "Smarter Track". It's like Smart Track, but much smarter :).

Similarly, TriTAG in KW was successful in coalescing public support around the LRT there several years ago. (Disclosure: I helped found TriTAG.)

I appreciate the work that Code Red has done in Toronto, but it has always seemed like more of a reactionary group -- as in, it's great for coming together when a particular project is threatened or council is about to do something monumentally stupid, but you don't hear much from them on a daily basis. I'd like to see a group that a) maintains an active presence on social media, and b) does original research on transportation issues that deserve more attention. Maybe this is something that can be done in partnership with Code Red, or even by Code Red.

So yes, I am interested in setting up a citizen's advocacy group for the Relief Line and other issues. :)

Back