So that makes 3.

The more the merrier. @gweed123 and @44north, you've both mentioned this in the past. Still interested?

When it comes to the DRL I'm down like a clown. But I think this might be easier once the separate studies are complete As it stands, it seems there are too many questions about the line that could cause rifts in any advocacy group. With the City's proposal a big Q would be: 'should it pass through Broadview or Pape'. And with the Prov/York Region/Metrolinx proposal, a big Q would be: 'LRVs slogging along Front Street, subways slogging through floods, or buses'.

But keep in mind we have some fierce competition with regards to other projects' advocacy:
toryhalloweenuntitledpng.png.size.xxlarge.letterbox.png

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...s-and-pitches-smarttrack-to-preschoolers.html

When it comes to the DRL I'm down like a clown. But I think this might be easier once the separate studies are complete As it stands, it seems there are too many questions about the line that could cause rifts in any advocacy group. With the City's proposal a big Q would be: 'should it pass through Broadview or Pape'. And with the Prov/York Region/Metrolinx proposal, a big Q would be: 'LRVs slogging along Front Street, subways slogging through floods, or buses'.

But keep in mind we have some fierce competition with regards to other projects' advocacy:
toryhalloweenuntitledpng.png.size.xxlarge.letterbox.png

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...s-and-pitches-smarttrack-to-preschoolers.html

Great.

Regarding timing, the SmartTrack and Relief Line studies will be coming out early 2016, so now is the time to begin planning the campaign. We need to be ready for a big push just before Council will be voting on ST and DRL and the media covers the reports

Right now we don't need to endorse anything specific about the line (alignments, stations, etc...) that would cause rifts. The final reports haven't been released yet, so endorsing anything at this point would be premature and would hurt the credibility of the campaign. For the time being I think we can broadly agree on three things:
  • the Relief Line needs to be built
  • SmartTrack is not a suitable substitute for the DRL
  • the DRL should be heavy rail rapid transit.
Specifics would be worked out in the coming months.

Right now we don't need to endorse anything specific about the line (alignments, stations, etc...) that would cause rifts. The final reports haven't been released yet, so endorsing anything at this point would be premature and would hurt the credibility of the campaign. For the time being I think we can broadly agree on three things:
  • the Relief Line needs to be built
  • SmartTrack is not a suitable substitute for the DRL
  • the DRL should be heavy rail rapid transit.
Specifics would be worked out in the coming months.

I think we have enough from preliminary analysis on Metrolinx to cite their numbers. As long as we are upfront that they are preliminary numbers.

Also, when you say "heavy rail", I interpret that as GO/UPX/VIA trains. Do you mean subway? Let's not be shy about that word now.

I think we have enough from preliminary analysis on Metrolinx to cite their numbers. As long as we are upfront that they are preliminary numbers.

Also, when you say "heavy rail", I interpret that as GO/UPX/VIA trains. Do you mean subway? Let's not be shy about that word now.

I thought "light rail" means subways, and "heavy rail" means subways subways subways.

sorry couldn't resist.

Basically. That was my most diplomatic effort to try to avoid committing to a specific grade (underground/elevated/at-grade).

Soo... subways, subways, subways!

Somewhat related to this, but I'd be okay with a light rail solution... just not how Metrolinx proposes it.

I think having the trains run tram style in-median downtown is completely bass ackwards. Whereas a reasonable idea would be like Boston's Green Line, the original Queen Subway proposal/s, or like how many cities do it with pre-metros, stadtbahns, etc. That is: have a central tunnel for the LRTs to converge in, but run them on the surface in the suburban outer areas (as in-median, tram-train, or otherwise). So I guess like the Crosstown. But naturally heavy rail subway would be the better option.

I want this;
20130305subwayssubwayssubways.jpg

We'll probably never see it, because Ontario Liberals would probably be worried a direct subway connection to Pearson would make UPX obsolete.

Plus Toronto has a mayor pushing for Smart Track over the DRL.

Attachments

• 20130305subwayssubwayssubways.jpg
    20130305subwayssubwayssubways.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 587
I'm seriously contemplating it, and partnering with #CodeRedTO and the insight they can provide.

Still trying to come up with a brand that is half decent. 'Line 8 Alliance' had been sticking in my head, but not sure the rationale behind "Line 8" is feasible; people would just get stuck on the name and distract from the message. Open to suggestions here.
Someone suggested Don River Line before as the final name of a DRL. I like it.

@TheTigerMaster , you know I am up for supporting an advocacy group. :)

Is anyone here seriously interested in setting up a citizen's advocacy group for the Relief Line?

It's my understanding that the citizens Hamilton Light Rail initiative successfully lobbied for the Hamilton LRT last year. I hope that something similar can be set up for the Relief Line.

I know that this idea has been discussed many times on UT, but now is a prime time to get something started, now that we have a new PM coming into office. And now that the SmartTrack plan is progressing, we must ensure that City Hall doesn't forget about the Relief Line.

I don't have anything too specific in mind at this point - that will all be sorted out once we have a few members.

Any takers?

Count me in as well TM. There seems to be a lot of misleading information out there regarding the SmartTrack project and beyond that, despite all damning evidence, it seems Tory wants nothing more than to have this line built to cement his political legacy. A Richmond Hill Line-DRL hybrid, like Gweed and others have mentioned on this forum, could also serve as a feasible alternative to ST.

I live in Vancouver, but I have been pushing TTCRiders.ca to create a Change.org petition for the Don Mills - Downtown Relief line. I'm not sure if I can be part of the group, but if any of you could contact TTCRiders about the subject, I encourage you to do so. I think TTCRiders would be the best organization to start a petition - and I also think it's the perfect time to start a petition. It's been exactly a year and 3 days since Tory was elected, and we have a new Prime-Minister-elect.

I live in Vancouver, but I have been pushing TTCRiders.ca to create a Change.org petition for the Don Mills - Downtown Relief line. I'm not sure if I can be part of the group, but if any of you could contact TTCRiders about the subject, I encourage you to do so. I think TTCRiders would be the best organization to start a petition - and I also think it's the perfect time to start a petition. It's been exactly a year and 3 days since Tory was elected, and we have a new Prime-Minister-elect.

You can certainly join if you like. Distance shouldn't be too much of an issue. We'll see what skills each of us can bring to the team and figure out how we'll all contribute.

I think we're leading towards something more than just a change.org petition. It could easily be dismissed as slacktivism.

Back