I just spent a bit of time looking at either side of Queen-Broadview.
  • To my mind, crossing the GO-LSE alignment is madness when origin and terminus are north/west of it, plus the west-east/north-south transition needs a certain curve radius, preferably not minimum (approach to Union?) so as to keep track and wheelset wear in check.
  • Digging up Queen for a station east of Broadview severs direct downtown access from Russell and Leslie yards. Let's assume the back route through Commissioners isn't done and widening and railing Leslie to Gerrard isn't either.
  • Even if you do dig up Queen, is there room for a station box by the time the tunnel straightens up before impinging on the diamond at Broadview? Doubt it.
  • Look at how long fixing the footings at the King side of the streetcar bridge over the Don took. Wanna mess with that again?
All of that says to me that the Queen/Broadview station should not be on Queen. Warning - major wrecking ball crayoning ahead. Apologies to all property owners in the vicinity.
Streetcars can detour on Gerrard - which is what they already do when there is construction on Queen. For long term construction, you can put some temporary tracks in.

As for the buildings, other than the hotel at the northwest corner, what's the issue? There's not much new there; and nothing else in particular jumps out at me for preservation.

The stop spacings from Broadview to Yonge are about 850 meters. I wonder if the long term goal if / when it gets extended to Roncesvalles is to remove the King line, and have Queen line dive south through the core along king.

Maybe at first they'll cheap out and start with a 2 station subway shuttle service from Pape to City Hall. And you can keep the streetcars.

Streetcars can detour on Gerrard - which is what they already do when there is construction on Queen. For long term construction, you can put some temporary tracks in.

As for the buildings, other than the hotel at the northwest corner, what's the issue? There's not much new there; and nothing else in particular jumps out at me for preservation.
yes they can but the Leslie cars need a clear run between Leslie and Coxwell - no fires, no sinkholes, no accidents, especially east of Russell.

Buildings issue is more acquisition cost - houses in the Degrassi area but the ones south of Thompson etc., plus the effects on adjacent properties such as subsidence/cracking. Unfortunately the city waited until after Leslieville was fashionable :)

Maybe with a Sumach stop, the can extend the Cherry car up to Queen?
not wide enough to run 2 station tracks I would think, and the tunnel would have to have straightened up by the time the train entered the station box. Might want to put a crossover there too maybe, Line 2 really suffers from having no crossover east of St. George and one may not be possible east of Broadview for a stretch given the need to curve northeast.

If Bay is the station box common for both the Yonge and University interchanges, the next one west should be at John Street.

Still make for an easier transfer, especially if it's extended west.
People can't walk the distance from York St to University? I give people more credit than that. In fact, the park south of Osgoode Hall is probably an easier place to put a large chunk of the station box, which mitigates the mayhem hacking away at the parking garage will surely cause, but leaves a more substantial walk to Yonge/Queen.

Still wish they'd go one more station to Spadina
& Front? ...then Fort York & Bathurst... then Exhibition & X Hotel?

City Hall to Exibition.jpg

Attachments

• City Hall to Exibition.jpg
    City Hall to Exibition.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 551
Was the cost of the alternative routes given somewhere. I thought I read that the Queen was the least expensive because it is the shortest. Not sure if any thought went into this or if they are just doing a cost per kilometer times length.
the big things I was hoping to find out were;
  1. What route will the DRL take in the west? Up to Bloor (and where) or southwest to the Ex? At least show how the current terminus allows for various alternatives for extension.
  2. How will the DRL get to Eglinton and beyond. The Eglinton Station must be planned together with the ECLRT or else extension to Eglinton is not in the cards for another 1/4 century at least. Also, to increase support, it needs to be shown that this will help people in the entire eastern half of Toronto. The DRL short may be viewed as only helping those between Pape and City Hall. If the DRL does not hit peoples final destination (Financial?), they are likely not to use it and still transfer at Y-B.
  3. What are the costs of the various routes and how can it be minimized.
From what I gather, they did not answer any of these questions

Back